Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Knucklez

Knucklez

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

Hi,

I've finished my build today. Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
CPU Cooler: 212 Evo Cooler Master
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 6
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Radeon R9 270x (Single)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition 37.9 CFM 120mm Fan

Now, I'm not the best at building, but looking at it I don't see anything missing. I start it up, all the lights come on, the fans work. But nothing shows up on the screen. Also, after a while the computer reboots, and it's an ongoing cycle. Not sure if it reboots cause there's no operating system, but nothing on the screen. I've tried taking out the video card and use the motherboard, but same result.
 I've taken out the Motherboard, left only the MB power cable in, the CPU power in, and the fan on top of CPU. Oh, and of course the panel cables so I can use the power button on the case. The MB lit up and everything, it booted and same thing happens,  after a while it switches off and on again but no video output. Also, there was not a single beep. I'll attach a couple screenshots to show you guys.

That's all I left connected:
http://i66.tinypic.com/5c0thz.jpg

The CPU connected(I wasn't even sure where to connect this at first, it's two 4 pin connectors split up, so I just put two next to each other):
http://i67.tinypic.com/2zhi73b.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

I don't think it'll post without any memory in it (unless I just can't see it in the pictures but it looks like it's powered on with no memory). Try installing one stick in the first slot, and if that doesn't work try the next slot.  Also worth resetting the CMOS (check your motherboard manual for the jumper pin location).

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Knucklez

Knucklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Ahh yeah I see, I completely forgot about memory! I'll try that now, just one question before I do. I've ordered an replacement motherboard just to see if it's a motherboard issue, so it's coming tomorrow, but I've packed the CPU back in the little plastic package it came with and took of the cooler. The thermal paste is still on both, reckon I can just put it back in and it won't cause any problems?

#4 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

hi,

negative, you have to put new thermal paste 

thermal paste is for one use only 

even if you put your cpu for only a couple of hours you have to put again new thermal when you re install again your cpu

#5 Knucklez

Knucklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Problem is, I don't have any alcohol like that to clean it. I've got some liquid which is like 60% alcohol, 30% water and some other things but I don't think that's the best option. I live in the UK where it's a bit more difficult to get 90-99% alcohol from a store, but I've found this from a store nearby: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/isopropyl-alcohol-400ml-re79l . Would this do the trick?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Yes it's good practice to use new each time, otherwise you end up with gaps, air pockets etc, and poor cooling.

Re. cleaning - I use "electrical contact cleaner" which I got from a thrift shop for £1. Maplin sell the same sort of stuff, and it'll be fine to use, they just charge a lot!

Edited by jonuk76, 29 April 2017 - 10:32 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Knucklez

Knucklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

Thanks a lot, I'll get some cleaner now and try run it with RAM to see if there's changes. I'll update in an hour or so.

#8 Knucklez

Knucklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

Still the same. Added RAM and no difference. I've only realised that with the speakers in, whenever I turn the power supply off there's like a little bass bump. Out of ideas at this point. Someone has told me that my motherboard isn't supporting my CPU without a BIOS update. I checked the barcode on the motherboard and at the end of it I can see '2003' which I think is the current BIOS. I've done some research and 2003 should be alright with my CPU, so I think that's not a solution.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

When new builds fail in the case, pull it all out of the case and assemble on a work bench or anti-static mat.  Too many times I have seen standoffs in the chassis shorting the power supply.  The MOBO manual should show the proper places for support and grounding.

#10 Knucklez

Knucklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

When new builds fail in the case, pull it all out of the case and assemble on a work bench or anti-static mat.  Too many times I have seen standoffs in the chassis shorting the power supply.  The MOBO manual should show the proper places for support and grounding.

Yeah, actually I've been using the packaging that came with the mobo whenever I take it out, I just put it on the packaging(the foil). Well, the new mobo will arrive today, so I'll see if how that does. What I'm planning to do, is to take it out, put it on the foil, only put in the basic things mentioned here so ram, cpu and cooler to see if there's a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users