Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor no signal issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Heartsalive

Heartsalive

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:58 AM

So today during a random restart my pc monitor did not jump back to life upon restart and does not seem to be working now.

The monitor still identifies that it is plugged into the pc as the "no cable connected" changes to simply "no signal when plugged in.

Have tried unplugging and reconnecting everything.

Have tried the unplugging cable and holding power button for a minute.

Curiously I did try using the hdmi slot and attached the pc to my tv (the monitor had no hdmi to test on there) and my tv doesn't seem to pick up a signal either but this is the only time I have tried to do that so there may be other facts at work there.

Anyone have any further ideas? Please keep in mind I'm not a tech wizard so some terminology may go over my head if not explained!

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Are you able to try the monitor with another computer?

Typically, doing computer support is first and foremost trying to narrow down where the problem might be. You have started that process by trying the computer with your TV. The fact that the computer will not work with the TV at first, gut "blush" suggests it might be something with the computer, but there could still be other reasons. The next step would be to try the monitor with another working computer (either another computer your own if you have one...or try with a friend's or relative's computer if don't). And the other next step would be to try the computer with another computer monitor (borrow a friend's or relative's if you can if you don't have one yourself).

#3 Heartsalive

Heartsalive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

I tried hooking another monitor up to the PC and still no luck, this would suggest it's actually not the monitor that's the problem.

Also Iv now noticed that my keyboard and mouse aren't working either when the PC boots up.

Not sure where to go from here, I can't get any sort of visual because my motherboard doesn't have any video output!

Thanks for the input though

Edited by Heartsalive, 29 April 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

I tried hooking another monitor up to the PC and still no luck, this would suggest it's actually not the monitor that's the problem.

Also Iv now noticed that my keyboard and mouse aren't working either when the PC boots up.

Not sure where to go from here, I can't get any sort of visual because my motherboard doesn't have any video output!

Thanks for the input though

That does seem to suggest it is an issue on the computer side of things.

Does the computer otherwise seem to be functioning (i.e. fans start up, etc)?

Unfortunately, that means you now need to try to narrow down what on the computer might be causing the issue.

It could be the graphics card and that is likely one of the easiest things to check, although it will likely cost money unless you are a COMPLETE computer nerd like me and have spare graphics cards laying around. Frankly, this would be my leading suspect at this point, but it is by no means the only suspect.

Other possible culprits would be the power supply or motherboard with lesser chance of it being the CPU or RAM. You could try another power supply or get a power supply tester.

In other words, if you want to try to troubleshoot it yourself, then the typical process is to temporarily replace the suspect items (graphics cards, power supply, motherboard, etc) one at a time with new or know working items to see if that fixes the problem. The alternative is to test the suspect parts on another working computer...either one you own or one a friend or relative is will to let you experiment on. Many times either process is not harmful, but there is always a slight risk that something further could be damaged (i.e. the spare part you try or other computer). If you don't have the spare parts or don't want to purchase the spare parts to do this or don't want to risk any of it, then typically the other option is to pay a technician to check out the computer (they likely do have the spare parts).

#5 Heartsalive

Heartsalive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for the response!!

I tried my mates graphics card in my system and still got no display! So we can categorically say it's not that. I'm thinking it is either psu or motherboard at this point.

Yes everything sounds normal, fans boot up etc.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the response!!

I tried my mates graphics card in my system and still got no display! So we can categorically say it's not that. I'm thinking it is either psu or motherboard at this point.

Yes everything sounds normal, fans boot up etc.

Then my next suspect would be the power supply, but it certainly could be a PSU issue.

BTW, did you test your graphics card in your friend's system? If it works, then this is verification that your graphics card is not the problem.

#7 Bo1965

Bo1965

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Just curious, does your monitor work in safe mode?

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:27 AM

I recently had a problem like this that turned out (much to my surprise as the system is never disturbed) to be the video cable - in this case a DVI cable. As with yours the machine could detect when there was no monitor connected & when a monitor was connected there was no display.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users