Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP installation blue screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marnel

Marnel

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:56 AM

So my friend asked me to fix her laptop since it always shuts down, hang and blue screen. I took the hard disk and put it in my PC, I also saved all the files that she needed and formatted it but it says "Windows was unable to complete the format". The disk was wiped but there was still 90MB inside but there is no file or anything, so I tried installing WinXP SP3 using a bootable flash drive but when it's on Windows Setup it goes blue screen. Any solutions? Help me please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lgordon225

lgordon225

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

I did not use Windows XP 5 years ago. It is difficult to help you :flowers:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

Did you try formatting the hard drive using your computer? What error code did the BSOD give? How did you create the bootable USB flash drive of XP,? I would use the XP iso file with Rufus to create the bootable flash drive.

I am assuming this laptop has one drive. Boot your XP install disk. When you get to the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt window. Type the following commands. 

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0    If you have more than one drive on the laptop post back and do not continue.

clean all          This will zero out the drive. It will take awhile. When the diskpart prompt appears it is finished.

exit

exit

Continue with the XP install.

#4 Marnel

Marnel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Did you try formatting the hard drive using your computer? What error code did the BSOD give? How did you create the bootable USB flash drive of XP,? I would use the XP iso file with Rufus to create the bootable flash drive.

I am assuming this laptop has one drive. Boot your XP install disk. When you get to the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt window. Type the following commands. 

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0    If you have more than one drive on the laptop post back and do not continue.

clean all          This will zero out the drive. It will take awhile. When the diskpart prompt appears it is finished.

exit

exit

Continue with the XP install.

Uh no I took the hard drive of the laptop and put it in my computer, so my computer has 2 hard drives right now. I used WinToFlash for bootable USB flash drive, I also used Rufus but it only shows black screen. The motherboard of this computer is GIGABYTE and my other computer's motherboard is ASUS. The laptop isn't with me, I wanted to install the OS using my computers so all I have to do when I go to my friend is to put the hard drive back in the laptop.

Edited by Marnel, 29 April 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

You can't install XP to a hard drive from one computer and expect it to boot after attaching to another computer. During the install XP installs drivers specific to the hardware that it is installed on such as the mass storage controller. You need to install XP on the laptop with the drive attached to the laptop. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 April 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#6 Marnel

Marnel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

You can't install XP to a hard drive from one computer and expect it to boot after attaching to another computer. During the install XP installs drivers specific to the hardware that it is installed on such as the mass storage controller. You need to install XP on the laptop with the drive attached to the laptop. 

I see, I'll just boot XP using WinToFlash to my 1st flash drive and Rufus on the 2nd one just to be sure. I'll just go to my friend and try if it works. Thanks!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

Post an update. Just a warning. If the laptop has a SATA disk and not IDE you may need to slipstream the drivers of the Mass Storage Controller into the XP install using nlite. The XP install media does not have native SATA drivers. A clue will be during the install XP will not be able to detect the hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 April 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#8 Marnel

Marnel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Post an update. Just a warning. If the laptop has a SATA disk and not IDE you may need to slipstream the drivers of the Mass Storage Controller into the XP install using nlite. The XP install media does not have native SATA drivers. A clue will be during the install XP will not be able to detect the hard drive.

JpWiveG.jpg

D3VMXoL.jpg

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:10 PM

That's a SATA drive. What is the make and model number of the laptop? I assume your friend knows XP is no longer updated and should not be used for online banking and internet purchases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users