Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp computer won't connect to internet (only msn)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 motn88

motn88

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

I'm not sure where to start. At first I tried to get it to ICS with my windows 10 laptop as the host, but couldn't get that working. So I decided to just plug it directly into my router, but it won't really work. It does, but only msn.com and bing works. I can't go to google or click on any websites through bing. I tried the netsh winsock stuff, tried to system restore it to when I first installed the OS a couple days ago, nothing is getting me to connect. I do see somehow the computer has my windows 10 computer's ports linked to it(?) because when i go to see"internet connection properties" settings, it says hamachi as some sort of name and then minecraft, skype, etc ports under it which I assume is from me previously trying to share my internet on here to that computer. 
An error I get too in that tab is that the port my xp computer is using (3658) is already being used?

Really don't know where to start on trying to fix it so I can just access the internet on it (it's ethernet only). On the previous OS installed, the computer did have ancient bitcoin mining viruses among other things (which could have affected the internet) but I cleaned it and now installed a new OS (xp) on it wiping that whole partition so I don't think it's possible anything is still there. 

I wish I could just delete all previous stuff I did from the ICS network sharing stuff (like the hamachi-ports stuff being there) but no matter how I try, i can't get it off and it isn't letting me connect to anything more than msn and bing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Are you using Internet Explorer 6?

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:50 PM

If you get msn and bing then the internet works.  Problem isn't in internet access.  Problem is with your system.

Have you done all of the updates for the new install?  Should take quite some time

port 3385 is used for remote desktop which is a non issue with ICS

Edited by Wand3r3r, 01 May 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#4 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

Wand3r3r is right, if you get Internet you don't have an Internet access problem.

I think you forgot to go to update.microsoft.com to get all the system updates you need. I know you are using Internet Explorer 6 because I had the exact same problem when I reset my XP system. IE6 won't open anything except MSN and Bing. Go to Update.Microsoft.Com to get  the latest updates for Windows. (Use Internet Explorer to go there).

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users