Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Topic Linux & Old Computers.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

That's incredible! It in theory means that you can comfortably run your OS, which uses up while idling much less than 100Mhz CPU & 100MB RAM, on a Samsung Xcover 550 feature phone - it has a dual-core 460Mhz CPU and 128MB of RAM. Awesome!:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

antix 16 distro runs as good as my puppy distro.

Both distros will run using hardly any system resources.

Can't go wrong with either distro imo.

Choose one or both and go.

Small learning curve with either one and both distros come with tons of usable software.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#18 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

These old computers have lot's of character!  The Laptop I'm on how has four 2.0 USB Port's, all towards the back of the Laptop where they should be LOL.  One on each side towards back, and two in THE back on each side.  Power Cord Jack is in back...also where it should be LOL. not on the right side sticking out where the user is trying to move his/her mouse around.  By the way, how stupid is it that these pc manufacturers put the Power Jack on the Right side sticking out as far as possible...O-boy.  Some of them were smart enough to make the a 90° bend in the jack...others were not.  Some were smart enough to do this on the left side to make it suitable to at least Righties, to bad for the Lefties.  Actually the Lefties had it good with the ones that were on the right side, maybe those engineers were Lefties LOL, and snuck it by the corporate types lol.  Either way, these old computers are great for linux and this is one of the reasons why for me, all that character that they HAD, and may never HAVE again.  I don't even see them putting the little Blue Chip inside the 3.0 USB Ports anymore, accept for a the select few.  What do they want us to do if we don't use that specific computer all that often, how do we remember which is which when we need that little bit more speed for a particular job.  I fortunately have many laptops, and it is hard to keep track of all the functions of all of them, so these little Blue Chips help me, and I really like being able to see if I'm working with 3.0 just by a quick glance.  This is very helpful also if I on someone else's computer!

Whew, that's the end of my complaint's for the day, pc out.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#19 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

These old computers have lot's of character!   

Agreed and in my case that may be the motivation of keeping them in use. :scratchhead:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#20 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

That's incredible! It in theory means that you can comfortably run your OS, which uses up while idling much less than 100Mhz CPU & 100MB RAM, on a Samsung Xcover 550 feature phone - it has a dual-core 460Mhz CPU and 128MB of RAM. Awesome! :)

Indeed. If the distro in question happens to have an ARM port, that is.....since smartphones almost universally run on the ARM architecture.

Puppy does.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92548

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#21 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

*duplicate post*

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 April 2017 - 04:53 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#22 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

I'm sorry guys, but I can't respect Linux, until you don't come up to me with a distro than can run on my NES (8-bit Nintendo), lol.

Specs:
1.79Mhz CPU
2KB RAM
2KB Video Card
:lmao:

#23 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Okay, Fine! I stand corrected. I asked a friend and he told me that GeckOS could be cosidered a Linux distro, since it's an OS from the Unix-family. It can comfortably run on an old Nintendo processor with 1.79Mhz CPU, but requires ~32KB of RAM, whereas my NES only has 2KB on board. That means that if you find a relatively rare special game cartridge, you can futher expand your Nintendo's RAM by more than 32KB, which would suggest that yes, technically you can run Linux on an old Nintendo. Damn...
:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 30 April 2017 - 06:45 PM.

#24 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

I have some other older pc's with linux on them, mostly Vista era pc's, but don't use them much lately.  Can't get rid of them either, can't sell em or donate them very easily.  When I ask if people know about Linux they say "no what's that?"  Pains me to see all these pc's going to the crusher, mostly Vista these days, some pretty decent power on some of them.

pc out

pcpunk, what you you mean by the 'crusher', have heard that from you several times? :question:

If a computer is running & you don't want nor have the room for these, no need to dispose of, donate it to a Goodwill or Hospice store in your area, someone in bad need of a computer will come along & buy it. Just because we don't always run into folks that doesn't want these, doesn't mean there's no demand, don't take my word on it, look on eBay at how many are being bidded on. :)

I happen to have two older computers that runs Linux Mint Mate 32 bit decently, both holds a grand total of 2GB DDR RAM, my Dell Dimension 2400 has the famed 3.06GHz (Northwood) P4 with H/T, although crippled with a 0.5MB L2 cache & doubles as a space heater, and my lower powered IBM T42 ThinkPad that I upgraded to a 2GHz chip runs circles around it w/out the benefit of H/T, because it has a 2MB L2 cache. This is the internal memory of the CPU, the more, the better, why some of the Core 2 Quad 9xxx series has up to 12MB L2 cache, others will have anywhere between 4-8MB, 6MB is common for some of the later Core 2 Quads. 

Plus I have two Dell Optiplex PC's in use & with Linux Mint, one a 740 with a AMD Athlon x4 630 (2MB L2), the other the 780 with the best consumer/business Core 2 Quad CPU in the Q9650, which has a 12MB cache & if in excellent condition, will fetch $75-100 easily. I lucked out & not only got the CPU, the whole PC plus a Windows 7 Pro (32 bit) OS, of which I never booted into. Used the COA & installed the 64 bit version, activation went smooth as a warm knife going through butter w/out calling for assistance. :)

So, I have a blend of the past, present & in between as far as hardware goes, just because a computer is old doesn't mean it's no good, for the same reason, just because it's new doesn't mean these are better, some brands are notorious for firmware issues, and I have one of those, a Samsung Series 7 notebook, this exact model. All that's upgradable is the RAM (one stick) & HDD to SSD, or larger/faster HDD. 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP700Z5C-S02UB-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00A8ONW26/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

The only way that Linux can be installed on that model is if every option in the UEFI is set to Legacy, otherwise will be bricked. :(

So yes, I still maintain my older Linux computers, although am about to gut the Dimension 2400, if can be done & install a newer AMD MB......or there's an outside chance that the one in this very PC may be installed in there & this case be used for another Z97 build. I won't get rid of the Dimension 2400 case because it was one of the last things my now deceased mother-in-law gave me, along with a monitor that was worth 2x more......and with DVI-D port, this was when these were $749 brand new in 2003 & has a real steel frame, not cheap, shiny ABS plastic. While not a widescreen, it's still an excellent monitor, and when new, very few consumers had a digital flat screen like this. One will be hard pressed to find one of these for sale in mint condition like mine, because few will part ways with these. Add some speakers & good to go! :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/NEC-1960NX-BK-LCD-Monitor-Black/dp/B0000C1IA5/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494236217&sr=1-1&keywords=NEC+1960nx

Even today's Linux OS's will look great on this LCD monitor, using the DVI-D port, there's also a traditional VGA that many had at the time, so I have all kinds of great oldies around & in use. BTW, that monitor will hook up to my now 12-13 year old IBM T42 will connect to the DVI-D port when using the docking station that shipped with it, however I don't believe that the 32MB ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 onboard GPU chip will run digital, it's there for what was at the time modern monitors for workstation use, and the notebook is actually a business class one, so are most of my older models, except for the Dimension 2400. If I can upgrade that, will have the baddest version around. :lol:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 08 May 2017 - 04:57 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#25 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

I don't hold much faith in "oem certified refurbished anything".

I've been in the electronics consumer industry as a electronics bench tech since the 1960s and have watched the consumer electronics industry go to crap. Most companies buy the cheapest components for the lowest price and then tell the consumer that the components used are the best available.

Does "Bestec" oem power supplies ring a bell. They were notorious for destroying motherboards and were used in Dell / HP  and most oem prebuild computers for years.

I've lost count of how many new motherboards and graphics cards and power supplies I have replaced capacitors in throughout the years.

Even Intel on some of their i core processors used cheap thermal compound which made temps run higher than normal and would sometimes force the processor to throttle down. Some users solved this issue by removing the heat spreader (aka de-liding) and replacing the cheap thermal compound with a high quality thermal compound such as Arctic Silver. Of course this voided the warranty.

When I need components I go on Ebay and look for unopened new old stock components from the trusted sellers who I have done business with before. Buying new old stock components is a gamble but one I'm willing to take from a reliable trusted seller.

If I needed or had to have the latest of today’s computer world it wouldn't be a prebuild from any of the major brands. I would do my own build so as to be able to control what components were used and installed and the amount of care it received during assembly.

Besides old computers and hardware for them is everywhere for the cost of a good beer. :wink:

The-Toolman

#26 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

I have some other older pc's with linux on them, mostly Vista era pc's, but don't use them much lately.  Can't get rid of them either, can't sell em or donate them very easily.  When I ask if people know about Linux they say "no what's that?"  Pains me to see all these pc's going to the crusher, mostly Vista these days, some pretty decent power on some of them.

pc out

pcpunk, what you you mean by the 'crusher', have heard that from you several times? :question:

If a computer is running & you don't want nor have the room for these, no need to dispose of, donate it to a Goodwill or Hospice store in your area, someone in bad need of a computer will come along & buy it. Just because we don't always run into folks that doesn't want these, doesn't mean there's no demand, don't take my word on it, look on eBay at how many are being bidded on. :)

By "Crusher" I mean the Recycle Center where I live.  Crusher, is what they do with old cars, ya know, so basically my lingo for recycling.  Goodwill don't like to take many computers down here, but I am going to try that also.  I have put some on Craigslist, but I'm not in a position to ship stuff, and shipping a pc would be very pricey wouldn't it?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#27 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

At my church I attend we take any computer and if usable.

Install a Linux distro and upgrade memory to the maximum amount.

We find a monitor and keyboard and mouse and speakers and then donate it to a family that can't afford one.

Cost to do this is only the amount of time needed to do so.

A very rewarding result. :thumbsup:

The Toolman

#28 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:16 AM

By "Crusher" I mean the Recycle Center where I live.  Crusher, is what they do with old cars, ya know, so basically my lingo for recycling.  Goodwill don't like to take many computers down here, but I am going to try that also.  I have put some on Craigslist, but I'm not in a position to ship stuff, and shipping a pc would be very pricey wouldn't it?

Yes, shipping costs, that's why many eBayers charges a little extra, to cover this cost, some will have a reserve or minimum bid, an option that costs an extra non-refundable 1%. :)

You can always state 'Local Pickup only' in your Craiglist listing for the computer, if it doesn't sell on the first time, continue to slowly drop price, $25 is better than $0, especially if it was found & cleaned up, and very minor repairs made. The reason why I'd never use that site is because I don't want strangers in my home, nor do I want to go into theirs, however I'd meet on a neutral ground, such as a library or where there's a wi-fi hotspot to show the computer actually works. Some may want it for parts only, to rebuild/upgrade their same model that became damaged, or shipped with a lower configuration. The MB & components on the same chassis (model series) will be a drop in fit, so in that respect, it's not exactly free, notebooks requires more skills to perform work on than desktop PC's, plus a huge dose of patience. :)

I'm sure that if one lives in an area larger than myself, where there's no issues with giving away a good working computer, or selling at a low price to compensate for labor, there's certainly more opportunities in a larger metropolitan region. Have myself & still do find nice items at one of the local Goodwill stores, while the other is loaded with junk, the one I frequent is where the upper middle class to mildly wealthy gives away practically brand new like items of all types, to include computers & related accessories, other electronics, appliances & furniture. That's where I'll go & purchase my new router when needed, seen a Linksys 'AC' model when last there that was on Newegg recently for over $200, for only $40, with a 7 day working warranty. All items are checked for working condition prior to being placed on the sales floor. 

And yes, they also have some lower rated models for $40 or less, they'll give anyone who is a senior, disabled or proof of receiving unemployment benefits and/or any other assistance 25% off, and can be talked down in price prior to the sale, the 25% off will still apply to the markdown. So I have little doubt that there's a way to get any working computer that's unwanted in the hands of anyone that needs it. Also, consider that Goodwill's profits goes towards programs for the blind, to include those who are poor & cannot afford prescribed glasses. Some like myself are virtually blind w/out these, while it's been over 30 years back, they did assist me once in obtaining a new set, the exam was free, the glasses were 85% off, all I paid out of pocket was a flat $50 for what would had been a total of $300 visit. Which was quite a wad of cash in the 80's. for many, including myself then, almost 3 weeks of pay. :)

Same for Hospice stores, they sell used goods to generate profits to assist those at the end stage of life, with medicine, fuel reimbursements for in-home visits by volunteers, of which they have many, as well as a very heavy caseload. The stores in this area are grateful for most any item that's saleable. 

So the bottom line being, there's plenty of avenues other than the crusher (thanks for the explanation :)), to get the computer out of the way, if that's the goal & into the hands of those looking for a bargain. Also, as The-Toolman was saying above, there are churches that accepts these. As I've stated many times, much of my learning began at what was a Christian based food ministry that later expanded to rehoming computers. Which was a boom when Windows 7 was released, older units (some less than 2 years old, Vista Certified) would be sitting on the curbs, and many would be scooping these up, including us. :thumbup2:

As a last resort, or fast one, simply sit the PC out (in clear road sight) on a nice day, preferably on a box where can be seen with a label 'Free to Good Home' & see how long it stays there. Chances are if during the day hours, not long at all. That's much more responsible than taking to a recycle center, one may pick it up not for themselves, rather their child who needs a computer. That's what we do most any time when getting a new(er) piece of furniture & looking to get rid of the old, as well as other items that we no longer use & 'in the way'. What may be one's junk or unwanted item may be another's treasure. :)

Install the latest Linux Mint 18 MATE or Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on these, some may require LM 17/Ubuntu 14.04, they'll figure the rest out & you'll be promoting Linux at the same time! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#29 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

I get most of my computers from the side of the road where most people tend to recycle them.

For the most part they are all there missing only the hard drive although some have been butchered to a frame without covers or anything.

I have also found excellent deals in local thrift stores and garage sales for a few dollars.

After a good cleaning and dusting with an air hose I install what is needed for testing and see if they will power on and then upgrade to their maximum capacity as free obtained parts allow..

I like doing the computer gig at my Church because of the enjoyment of giving someone who is unable to afford a needed complete and secure working computer.

One of the many advantages of Linux. :wink:

Edited by The-Toolman, 09 May 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#30 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

I get most of my computers from the side of the road where most people tend to recycle them.

For the most part they are all there missing only the hard drive although some have been butchered to a frame without covers or anything.

I have also found excellent deals in local thrift stores and garage sales for a few dollars.

After a good cleaning and dusting with an air hose I install what is needed for testing and see if they will power on and then upgrade to their maximum capacity as free obtained parts allow..

I like doing the computer gig at my Church because of the enjoyment of giving someone who is unable to afford a needed complete and secure working computer.

One of the many advantages of Linux. :wink:

Yes, I appreciate the feedback.  My health is not good so some of this will be harder for me, but yes, I was kinda kidding about sending to crusher, I'll find homes for them.  Some things do go to the recycle bin though due to my poor health and space.  I'm still looking for a place to donate these.

Edited by pcpunk, 09 May 2017 - 02:11 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users