Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Topic Linux & Old Computers.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hello All,

As you can tell by my signature that I'm using the latest and newest computer hardware. :hysterical:

How many others are like myself and use old discarded computers.

I just like them and find it cool using older computer hardware that others have deemed outdated. 

I really enjoy the expression their face when they come over and see how well their old discarded computer is working.

I haven't bought a new computer since I built my Windows XP Flight Simulator X computer and that was a long time ago.

I find that Linux users are tech savvy and that is why we continue to keep old computers and hardware in use.

Or are we just cheap or yes I'll say it just tight and refuse to buy new.

The Toolman

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

I love starting up my computer, opening up Task Manager in Windows XP and seeing that the whole system runs on about 128-160MB of RAM - about ~7% of the total amount of RAM.:)

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

I have an older Dell Latitude laptop (I believe it is a latitude). Need to update it to an SSD though. But works good for normal usage. Even some light tinkering with python and such.

I also have an older Dell desktop (can't remember the model) that I run Ubuntu Server on. Use it as a file share and such. Though haven't got it hooked up since I moved.

I also have 3 newer machines since I like having new stuff, lol. But old hardware is great for using as a Linux machine! 

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Yes I also have very new not the latest but a couple of I core 3 and I core 5 although they are sitting disconnected on a shelf with Windows 10 installed on them.

I just don't need all of the power of them and I have so much cool old capable dual cores and Core 2 duo prebuilt desktops that are doing what I need to do so I use those.

I find really high end graphic cards for my old computers in thrift stores for a $1.00 to $5.00 dollars along with memory sticks so I'm well covered.

Another good thing using Linux is all of my new old stock 40GB hard drives are all I need.

I don't see the need to buy the newest when what I have is very capable and does what I need.

Linux and old computers and hardware rocks. :cool:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Here is my main KDE laptop, actually dual booting with that silly new Mint Mate 18, which has caused me problems on both pc's I've installed it on.  This thing is an Anvil, saw a tech with one at the local grocery store not to long back, don't know what he was doing or if it was his or belonged to the company he worked with but it also still looked good.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Compaq-nx7400-Notebook-PC/1847094

Battery still works all runs super cool after a good clean up and ArticSilver 5 in place.  Actually never ran hot, but just for good measure on an old pc, thought I would check it out.  Easy to take apart and service...super!  I have some other older pc's with linux on them, mostly Vista era pc's, but don't use them much lately.  Can't get rid of them either, can't sell em or donate them very easily.  When I ask if people know about Linux they say "no what's that?"  Pains me to see all these pc's going to the crusher, mostly Vista these days, some pretty decent power on some of them.

pc out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

I have some other older pc's with linux on them, mostly Vista era pc's, but don't use them much lately.  Can't get rid of them either, can't sell em or donate them very easily.  When I ask if people know about Linux they say "no what's that?"  Pains me to see all these pc's going to the crusher, mostly Vista these days, some pretty decent power on some of them.

pc out

Yep most of my old relics are from the good old days of Windows Vista and that's why they run Linux so well.

Any PC that will run Microsoft Vista will fly with most Linux Distros.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

I game so I have a newer gaming laptop and a gaming desktop. Plus a Dell XPS 13... cause its cool haha.

Yeah if all you need is an older dual core or even quad core go for it. No need to shell out 1000 bucks for a PC if you don't need it. My Linux server is actually a free99 PC. Works great! 4GB of RAM and an older quad core CPU. Perfect for file shares.

pcpunk - that is a decent little lappy you got there! Reminds me of the older Dell laptop I have that runs linux. Though I haven't booted it in a while.. alas I haven't even run Linux in a little while,  sadly.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

I have a HP Compaq 2510p Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 1.20GHz Ultra Low Voltage processor Memory: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, The hard drive in it died a long time ago  now it boots Puppy Linux ( Tahr Pup ) from a live CD with a small save file, and I love it, in fact its my fav PC, now if only I could figure out how to put Unity desktop on it.

Edited by NickAu, 29 April 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

I have a HP Compaq 2510p Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 1.20GHz Ultra Low Voltage processor Memory: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, The hard drive in it died a long time ago  now it boots Puppy Linux ( Tahr Pup ) from a live CD with a small save file, and I love it, in fact its my fav PC, now if only I could figure out how to put Unity desktop on it.

Hey, that is very nice! Just one question, though. When Puppy Linux boots up, how much RAM and CPU does it ultimatelly end up using with nothing else opened up, such as a browser? I might be switching to Linux, but can't decide between Puppy Linux and Linux Mint - the 2 lightest Linux distros that are fully supported.:)

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

Remember I am taking a screen shot here so processor is a bit high.

cVJ9llL.png

Otherwise about 1 to 2 % and 80 MiB of ram.

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

Wow, so Puppy Linux runs on less than 100Mhz CPU & 100MB RAM. I thought my Windows XP Service Pack 3 OS which runs on ~150Mhz CPU & ~150MB RAM was lightweight...
Thank you!:thumbup2:

#12 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

My usual habit is to buy a good quality/$ ratio computer, but I keep it until it dies.  I've replaced a motherboard once so the box had an extended life.  :grinner:  Before finding out about VirtualBox, I did configure a dual boot 'system' using two computers on top of each others and a VGA-mouse-keyboard switch.  :hysterical: Now, after discovering this marvel of nature that is VirtualBox two years ago, I got myself a PC with lots of RAM and lots of RAID-1 space to host my OS guests which happen to be all the Windows versions that I used to run on separate PCs.  I can even run an Apple ][ simulator.  Bonus, I can do HD hungry video editing as well.  My PC is old compared to the human life scale, but not yet a veteran, and don't have any plan to replace it.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Well, I gotta add my two cents.

I'm running two veterans here. My main box is a 2004 Compaq Presario desktop PC (pre-HP....just). Athlon64 X2 3800+ dual-core, 3 GB DDR1 RAM, WD 500 GB HDD and built-in ATI Radeon graphics. Currently multi-booting around 10 Puppies, with many common apps running from a remote partition, sym-linked into each Pup where it expects to find 'em. PSU upgraded from the original generic 'silver box' around 18 months ago.

And the other? A Dell Inspiron lappie; an original 1100 from 2002/3. 2.6 GHz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB DDR1 RAM, 64 GB KingSpec IDE/PATA SSD and Intel 'Extreme' graphics. Like all older lappies, plenty of room inside for regular maintenance.....of which it's had plenty since we bought it new direct from Dell. Currently quad-booting four Pups, with the same remote app set-up as the Compaq. It's just on its third battery pack, and its second 'power brick'.....and the original CMOS battery was replaced around 9 months ago.

Both have had the CPUs upgraded; the Compaq for all of £8.73p off eBay, and the P4 costing me the princely sum of £7.26p. Both, too, run multiple Windows graphics apps under WINE, and a number of AppImages, as well. Many of the WINE apps I've built my own menu entries for, since they're portables, and run from anywhere except the WINE container.....

Since using Puppy for the last 2 1/2 years, I'm having more fun than I've had for decades..!  :)

I have a HP Compaq 2510p Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 1.20GHz Ultra Low Voltage processor Memory: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, The hard drive in it died a long time ago  now it boots Puppy Linux ( Tahr Pup ) from a live CD with a small save file, and I love it, in fact its my fav PC, now if only I could figure out how to put Unity desktop on it.

I know Pup's versatile, Nick, but I think you're asking a wee bit too much, there...  :lol:

I reckon you'd be looking at an fairly extended 'lib hunt', somehow..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 April 2017 - 06:24 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

Man been without electricity since 5am Sat morning due to storms and it just came back on Sun afternoon 2:35pm.

Got some cleanup that needs to be done so will get back to reading all of this after a bit.

It's good to see others are using old computers.

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

AntiX 16 on a Packard Bell EasyNote E6307 laptop:

1GB of DDR RAM
AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
Integrated VIA graphics

Just_One_Question may be interested to note Conky System Monitor on the desktop, showing that only 77.5MiB of RAM is being "used." :)

deB7OVz.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users