Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD to SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 STEVE-5

STEVE-5

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

I would like to upgrade my Asus Q552UB laptop HDD (HGST 5400 rpm 1Tb.Sata 6 Gb/s) to a SSD!  what would be a good choice to speed it up? thanks SMS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

Any SSD will be at least 10 times faster than your current mechanical drive.  The real questions are how much are you willing to spend and how much space do you need?  As this will be your only drive I'd suggest going no smaller than 256GB with 512GB recommended to ensure an adequate amount of storage.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

I would like to upgrade my Asus Q552UB laptop HDD (HGST 5400 rpm 1Tb.Sata 6 Gb/s) to a SSD!  what would be a good choice to speed it up? thanks SMS.

How full is the 1 TB drive? In other words, do you need a 1 TB SSD? Or can you downsize?

And if you can downsize, then how much storage space do you expect to need in the future?

And, as Kilroy noted, what is your budget? This might impact whether or not you can afford a 1 TB if that is what you really need. If you want a 1 TB SSD, then you are looking at least about $250 or so minimum.

Personally, I tend to prefer either Samsung SSDs (but they have a premium cost associated with them) or OWC Mercury SSDs (also have a premium cost associated with them, but I like them for use with my Macs as they are specifically tested for use with Macs). There are certainly less expensive options that would work well, I am used to those two brands and can get stuck in my ways.

#4 STEVE-5

STEVE-5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for reply, HDD not full, want SSD!  Probably go for Samsung EVO, look for sale prices ! SMS.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

The 500 MB Samsung 850 EVO performs very well, I have had one in my own laptop for a year now....; there are a few less expensive ones (Corsair, SanDisk, etc..) that perform almost as well, or, so close that I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference...

(In case someone comes along soon, as a public service, to remind us all of Samsung's exploding phone batteries, and initial 840 firmware teething issues from 5 years ago, which could reasonably be compared to a maunfacturer's experience with them, say, for instance, Puget System's record of %99.75+ reliability of thousands of 850/Pro/850 EVOs used)

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-PC-Hardware-of-2016-872/

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users