Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB to Ethernet Adapter stopped working out of no where...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TangenTW

TangenTW

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:22 AM

So when I moved out to college, I quickly discovered that my college's wifi could not reach my room. My computer, (an ASUS M302L notebook with Windows 10, i3 core, and all the stock Mediatek and Realtek drivers,) doesn't come with an Ethernet port, so I had to purchase an adapter. I couldn't find any at my local Walmart or any other large retail stores so I had to last resort to Radio Shack and ended up getting a Gigaware USB to Ethernet adapter for my computer. Everything was great! It was easy to install and had 0 problems for months. However about a week ago, my adapter suddenly stopped working and with it my option to use ethernet entirely. When I mean suddenly stopped working, I mean I woke up one morning and opened my laptop to check my email and boom, no internet. It had been working just fine the night before. 

Here's a list of symptoms:

-In the generic "Options" section of my computer, Ethernet has vanished from my network settings.

-There are no options for ethernet in the Network and Sharing Center.

-The device, (which had the required files to install it on the device itself,) does not show up when it is plugged in, HOWEVER it does receive power and also had the ethernet light on as if everything is in working order.

-In the device manager under 'Network Adapters' it does not appear. It also does not appear under any of the USB devices. 

Here's a list of things that I have tried:

-Searching for new drivers online and from the retailers website, (there are none to be found anywhere.)

-Searching through device manager to find the adapter, (it is no where to be found.)

-Searching my computer for any sign that it is plugged in, in the hopes that I can find the install files again, (it does not appear to be plugged in, other than the fact that it is getting power from my computer.)

-Restarting my computer multiple times.

-Restarting my computer to check USB BIOS.

-Downloading a 3rd Party USB tracker that allows me to see records of USB devices that have been plugged into my computer in the past, (No where to be found.)

-Plugging the adapter in to multiple USB ports on my computer, (I have 3, but one of them is known to be a tad wonky, so I avoid plugging stuff into it.) 

-Using different Ethernet cords.

-Even factory restarting my computer with a clean Windows 10.

As I type this, I am trying my last resort, which is letting my laptop's battery drain and letting it sit for awhile. I read somewhere that this helps with lots of problems, but I have never read or seen my problem anywhere, so I'm skeptical. As it is, I have my room mate's computer creating a wifi hotspot while he is wired up to the internet and I am connected to his hotspot, but the internet is horribly slow. Plus, I paid a pretty good sum for this dongle, (pranked by Radio Shack again it seems...) so I'd like to know if it's scrapped or if something is wrong with my computer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Test the USB to Ethernet adapter using another computer, based in your description it should be detected as stored device with a drive letter on "This PC" showing the driver/files inside without the need of installing drivers.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 TangenTW

TangenTW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Test the USB to Ethernet adapter using another computer, based in your description it should be detected as stored device with a drive letter on "This PC" showing the driver/files inside without the need of installing drivers.

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

I just tried plugging it into my friend's laptop, (running Windows 7 Home,) and it's having the same issues. The lights all come on, saying it's getting power and connected to the internet, but it's nowhere to be seen in storage devices. Only drive showing up is the compute'rs C:drive and nothing appears to pop up or change when it's plugged into either computer. It doesn't even alert me that a USB device is being plugged/unplugged like it used to.

Edited by TangenTW, 28 April 2017 - 08:29 AM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hi,

It seems the device is damaged and that you should use the warranty to replace it.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 TangenTW

TangenTW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

Hi,

It seems the device is damaged and that you should use the warranty to replace it.

Well darn.. Thank you though, I appreciate the help! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users