Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bug in DISM/Restore Health using Windows Creators Update.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

Until Microsoft fix it, there is a bug when running Restore Health using DISM which means it cannot complete and stops around 98% with 'Source not Found'

This applies whether you did an upgrade or a clean install.

There are workarounds but I would rather wait for the fix.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/dism-sources-after-creators-update/c2a04d2c-5646-4c58-81f7-708b350fe6bb

(open 'all replies' to see rest of thread)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:14 AM

Work around does not work far as i know i'm also waiting for patch for component store corruption.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 Kofiko

Kofiko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:41 AM

There's a fix posted on the My Digital Life forum but you'll have to register there to be able to read it all

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/creators-update-1703-15063-dism-restorehealth-i-fixed-it.74070/

#4 opera

opera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

The fixes are shown in the link I posted at the start of the thread.

They are more like workarounds than fixes really.

Only Microsoft can fix this.

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:14 AM

All credits go to MonarchX for this fix.

The necessary files are here:

https://mega.nz/#!tIwX3KTC!tWP_YIX1sO_0WGvTyqB0eehyTHtuuvaxoTPfE907rfA
Follow these instructions exactly.  I installed a clean untouched 16179 rs3 (Pro x64) on a separate partition.  I did absolutely nothing to it except sign in with my MS account.  I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and it FAILED.  I followed the instructions EXACTLY below, and it worked.

1)  Download the zip file from above link, and extract.  I put the files on my root drive.  There is NSudo 4.0, and CBSEnum_x64.exe (and x32.)

2)  Run Nsudo as admin, CLICK ENABLE ALL PRIVILEGES BOX, select TRUSTED INSTALLER, and open CBSEnum_x64.exe with Nsudo.

3)  In CBSEnum window select Edit -> Take Registry Ownership.  When this has finished you can close  the Window (not CBSEnum.  One other time this 2nd window pops up, and it can be closed.)

4)  Select Flat List on the right pane of CBSEnum under Group.

5)  In the window navigate to Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning package entries.  There will be TWO of them.

6)  Select both by using the Control key.

7)  Right-click and select Visibility -> Make Visible.

8 ) Right-click and select Manage -> Decouple.

9)  Right-click and select Uninstall All.  You will need to confirm you actually want to do this.  You do.

10) Restart.

11) Open the Registry Editor, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\

12) Remove the TWO entries in CatalogsToUninstall.

13)  Restart.

14) Again run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and watch it complete successfully.

#6 opera

opera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

I would rather wait for Microsoft to fix this (which I'm sure they will soon) than download files and alter the registry.

#7 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

I would rather wait for Microsoft to fix this (which I'm sure they will soon) than download files and alter the registry.

Don't hold your breath.  It hasn't worked in quite a while, and I don't expect it to be fixed in the Insider Previews.  Actually, I don't even think it is really all that necessary to run.  Some people are interested in this.  I regard it as a solution.

#8 opera

opera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:21 AM

It has worked up until the Creators Update.

#9 opera

opera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:23 AM

DISM/Restorehealth now works on Creators Build without having to use any workarounds.

Looks like Microsoft fixed it :)

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the update @opera!

2GvnEq2.gif

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

Yes, a second thanks for the update!!

Since DISM is really a central utility of Windows, and gets used in enterprise settings on a routine basis, I knew this would not remain unfixed for long.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users