Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't charge in extension cord

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sinine

sinine

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

I just got a new laptop on wednesday I think, MSI  GL 62, has win 10.

I plugged it in to the extension cord, with three sockets. Nothing else was plugged in. And it charged normally. And Whenever it was turned on I plugged it in. Everything was fine. Til tonight. Everything was done as normally but I got a notification saying my battery was low and that I better plug in my laptop. It was plugged in!!! I thought okay maybe it starts charging when the battery is completely empty but it didn't, it just shut off and didn't show that any power was in it. I checked all the cords and sockets, they worked for other things. And it has worked for the laptop but not anymore.

So I thought maybe there's not enough power for the laptop in the extension cord (maybe it's stupid, I'm not tech savvy sorry) and plugged it into the wall and it started charging. I'm so freaked out cause..!?!?!? Is it normal? Should I call the shop? Is it possible that the extension cord doesn't have enough power all of a sudden? Or is there like a setting I need to change for it to charge?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Hi

Have you tested the extension cord to see if it works? Try using it to run another appliance like a vacuum cleaner.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Yes, as I said it works with other things like phone charger. I can't try the vaccuum, it's 4am where I live and others are sleeping.

#4 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Okay, I think it's the extension cord. I just tried my old laptop which used to charge fine and it wouldn't either now. I guess my phone and lamp need little power. Are there different kind of extension cords out there like when it comes to giving out power amount?

Edited by sinine, 27 April 2017 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users