Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Theme change to Classic, Bookmarks gone, Taskbar won't unlock?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thenerou

thenerou

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

I'm not really sure what to do about this, nor has it ever happened to me before.

I have an All-In-One that I got about 6 years ago and have never had this problem.

I just made a big move from Al to Mi and I started my PC in a room of my new place---everything was fine. I turn it off and take it downstairs to set it up (2 hours later) and when it turns on my Aero theme is replaced with the classic theme. I open chrome, and the icon looks like this  in the taskbar. Everything is like new, and it asks me to sign into my gmail (which I did). My bookmarks are gone, as it only shows the ones from my phone. My history is gone save for that from my phone too. It hasn't posed much of a problem as far as running--everything runs fine. But I do like to have my most used programs on the taskbar, so I just tried to set them up again--no luck. I hit the "Lock the Taskbar" button to try to unlock it because it was checked--No luck. I go into properties and uncheck the box, click apply, then ok. Nothing--Still can't pin items or unlock taskbar. Everytime I reboot, it resets the theme, but the new bookmarks I set are still there.

Anyone know what's going on? 

(Bonus points if you know enough about Vizio All-In-Ones to help with a driver issue.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Some systems dont like being moved or even given slight jolts...try running chkdisk.

Also sometimes win services can stop,check if thee windows 7 themes service is running (right click computer in start menu - manage - sevices...)

Make sure the service is set to Automatic (right click - properties)stop and restart the service.

Also open device manager....(Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter...look to see what drivers are listed..if possible you could post a screen shot of them for me..

You could also try the troubleshooters in control panel...Control Panel - Large icons -  Troubleshooting - at the the bottom and click "Troubleshoot themes"..

Do you have restore points to go back to?

#3 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

Try rebuilding the Icon Cache, reboot and see if that resolves your problem.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel here, the following page has detailed step by step instructions on how to do it.

Icon Cache Rebuild Link

Give it a try. Won't harm anything and Rebuilding the Icon Cache has solved similar problems for me in the past.

Hope that helps.

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

Rather than re-inventing the wheel here, the following page has detailed step by step instructions on how to do it.

Thanks,i would have come to that,once we,d finished re - inventing the wheel,dear heart :-) ...i was thinking about the disappearing aero theme more than anything',i was probably being overzealous after taking 4 hrs to get back into my Outlook hotty after MSFT,s reaction to newly installed vpn..and recovering from an irrational desire to bend over grab my ankles and stick my head up my owns a+se..heh,heh,whinging poms eh..all fixed now...and breathe..2NjMuPK.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users