Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Acting Up Severely

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Isy8911

Isy8911

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:14 AM

Hey,

I have a semi-custom built PC that has a well-used 500GB Hitachi HDD in it with my trusty Windows 7 on it. I was doing a full clean of the computer so I disconnected the hard disk and cleaned the case.

Then I put it back together and tried to turn it on. The BIOS screen flashed by successfully, but then it said that although it recognized the disk, there was no boot device on it. The hard disk, incidentally, never went near any magnets while out.

I also tried to use the boot menu to get it up and running, but the same exact thing happened. I tried it again with a different hard disk (Windows 7 again, but in a tiny 160GB disk) and it ran just fine. I even used the same SATA and power cords!

I'm not near my computer now, so I can't say the exact model and info. But for the record, there was no audible clicking, and it vrooomed normally when I turned on the PC with just the power cord connected to the HDD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

Does your original drive even show up within BIOS as a boot device?

Hard to speculate what actually happened, but, your symptoms certainly point to drive failure.

(You could try booting from the 160 GB disc, and seeing if you can install/check Gsmrtcontrol status of the original drive connected to another SATA port. If only WIndows is corrupted, perhaps you can still recover any files you might need, but, that should be your prority at this point, as when a drive crashes but still 'semi-functions', it does so for a very short amount of time, if at all...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Chances are that some connector is not tight; remove and re-plug in your SATA cables.

If you want to check your hard drive, you can use Memtest 96+ as follows:

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the screen opens, you will see all the operating drives in your computer.
  Hilight the one that you want to use, the others will be ignored.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.

> Click Short Test, upper left corner of screen.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

[EDIT]:  the statement I made:

you can use Memtest 96+ as follows:

Should read, "you can use Seatools for DOS"; I don't know where my mind was, but it wasn't on what I was doing. :rolleyes:

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Isy8911

Isy8911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

Ok so using external power things and a SATA to USB adapter I looked at the drive and using a HDD health program I saw that it was still around 90% health. The most obvious part though was that it only showed one drive (but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't partitioned) and it only showed the list of folders, e.g. Program Files, Program Files (x86), I had Fraps and Eclipse installed so there were folders for both of those, and it even had a Windows folder but it still wouldn't boot event thought it showed up in BIOS.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

I don't know what HDD test program you used, but IMHO any hard drive that registers as 10% failure possibility is a bad drive. I suggest you use Seatools as I outlined above, but it's your call. This utility is from Seagate, the hard drive manufacturer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users