Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm looking to extend my wifi signal but with what?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

I have my main router in my basement.  It's signal does reach upstairs but to the farthest room not as well as I want to I have an access point I use.  I am in need of something else that will get my signal to my unattached garage.  It also gets a signal but not very good.  It does have the same power line that the house does though.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions since I can't run a hard wire out to the garage of what I could use to get a better signal out there?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

Not much you can do, besides moving the router closer or buying a Wi-Fi repeater.:)

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

Not much you can do, besides moving the router closer or buying a Wi-Fi repeater. :)

There are lots of other options such as potentially a set of powerline adapters, a new router/access point that has more signal power, better/higher gain antenna(s) for the router and/or device(s) in the garage, install a second WiFi access point that is closer to the garage (typically would require running ethernet in the house unless one used something like powerline adapters), etc.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

I have my main router in my basement.  It's signal does reach upstairs but to the farthest room not as well as I want to I have an access point I use.  I am in need of something else that will get my signal to my unattached garage.  It also gets a signal but not very good.  It does have the same power line that the house does though.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions since I can't run a hard wire out to the garage of what I could use to get a better signal out there?  Thanks.

Are you able to relocate the router to another location in the house? This likely would be the cheapest and potentially simplest option (assuming you have the needed wiring to locate the router else where).

If you cannot relocate the router, then the next simplest and likely cheapest options would be either a WiFi repeater or powerline adapters. The former can be hit or miss. I have seen reports of them working well for some people while others say that they are worthless. I kind of use this approach as I have an Airport Extreme as my primary router and then use an Airport Express to "extend" my wireless network. The latter can also be hit or miss. The one key thing is that both powerline adapters need to be on circuits that are feed from the same main circuit breaker/fuse box. I am not sure if a sub-circuit breaker/fuse box (which you might have for your garage...my previous house with a detached garage had a sub box for the feed to the garage) would interfere with that or not. I also have a pair of powerline adapters used to feed my Tivo Mini box, which requires a ethernet connection (not WiFi compatible). It seems to work fine, but I have not extensively tested it as the Tivo Mini connects to my secondary TV that I don't regularly use...it is mainly for guests.

The last "simple" option would be to potentially get a new router and/or higher gain/better antenna(s) for your current router. How much of an option this would be will depend on your current router. What is your current router? If it is an 802.11n or older router, then you might gain some benefit out of an 802.11ac router, but then you get the most benefit if the devices used in the garage are also 802.11ac compatible.

Options beyond that start to get more complex and more expensive typically.

#5 ron351

ron351

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

I put a Netgear Range Extender upstairs. My Surfboard Modem Router is in the basement and works fine through the house

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ883QW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users