Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound issues on older Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

Hello guys, I have posted before regarding this piece of old junk before, it seems like it's nearing death's door.

This is regarding my HP G60 from nearly 10 years ago I think.  I posted several months ago about the screen not turning back on after closing the lid.  While this is still an issue I have just been shutting down the computer before closing the lid which has circumvented the problem.

Now, I am having trouble with sound. I have not recognized a pattern yet, but the audio stops working and the only thing that will restore it is restarting the computer, although I am pretty sure that is only a temporary fix, I have not discerned whether it just doesnt work sometimes after restarting, or if it randomly stops after being on.

I have tried the standard method of uninstalling/reinstalling the audio drivers but this hasn't done anything.  Headphones don't change anything either.

Please help, I am running Windows 10 ATM and can provide more details as requested.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

In addition to a bump, my computer now has a non-functional task bar at the bottom of the screen, None of the icons are clickable and the start button doesn't respond to the windows key.  I've tried restarting explorer.exe but this doesn't fix it.

Please help!

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Have you tried just reinstalling Windows at any point?

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

Also, thoroughly cleaning it internally.:)

#5 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Also, thoroughly cleaning it internally. :)

How do you thoroughly clean a laptop?

This is a recent installation of Windows 10 (within 3 months or so).

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Did this computer have any issues when Windows 7 was installed? Windows 7 was the original OS, correct? Some older computers just don't play well with Windows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users