Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much personal info is given out when posting requested logs? I.e. IP address

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jigsawpuzzle500

jigsawpuzzle500

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

I've posted to forums like these in the past requesting help and logs and the like are usually requested of me. Of course, I don't understand what half the stuff means, so I'd like to know if any personal info like IP addresses are being displayed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

I ask the following not to be argumentative, but out of genuine curiosity:  Why would you consider an IP address personal?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jigsawpuzzle500

jigsawpuzzle500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

Haha, fair question. I'm not technically savvy, so as far as I know, Amy computer's IP address can reveal my location.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Hey, I actually don't know how those work 'till this day either. I remember back in the day, when we were kids, that some guys advised us not to 'talk sh*t' in the Counter-Strike 1.6 game chat, because some of the other players may get offended, find out what our IP address is, via it find our location, seek us out and beat us up. I am pretty sure that was just a folksy myth now.:lmao: I also remember searching my location through those IP finder look-up engines back then. It oftentimes showed that I am in a whole different country (sometimes another continent even), sometimes it showed the capital of my country, which is not close to where I was at, and at best I was sometimes able to find the exact city where I'm from + my ISP. Even so, this would have been insufficient information for anyone who wanted to find me legally, since the city had a population of over 300,000 folks and I was using the most popular Internet service provider.
So yeah, is there any grain of truth to that? Is your IP a 'vulnerable' piece of information?

If you guys want, we can do a little test. You can tell me how do I see what my IP currently is (I am using an Android 6.0 smartphone device), I will give it to you here and we'll se whether or not you'd be able to locate where I am? How 'bout 'dah?:lmao:
C6xk5MIUwAAHx6u.jpg

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

IP addresses, and not the ones your router assigns your devices (as those are your Local Area Network [LAN] and those are repeated over and over and over again on almost everyone's LANs), but the one your router is assigned by your ISP, commonly noted as your WAN address, can be used to locate you at a very, very coarse/broad level.

Try:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup  (and look at what they tell you about the accuracy on that page)

https://www.iplocation.net/

http://www.ipfingerprints.com/

or http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/

to look up your own WAN address to see how accurate you think it is.  Since I list my city and state in the Location field under my avatar and have for ages that's no secret.  Then use my WAN address, 108.44.118.83, and compare what you find against what I've already told you.  I'm not worried that my WAN address will lead anyone to my front door.   There are lots of easier ways to find this information if one is so inclined that's very public (as in "it's on the internet" public).

These days if you have a listed phone number anyone can look you up easily, and there are lots of other mechanisms for doing so, too.  I long ago gave up the idea that any of us has a private life in the same way our parents and grandparents had private lives before the age of the internet.  A great deal of personal information is a part of the public record, and public records are easily searchable online virtually anywhere for anywhere these days.

Most of the diagnostics that things like Speccy, MiniToolBox, and the like generate are not in any meaningful way personal unless you believe that the make, model, and miscellaneous hardware your computer uses is private.  If you do, then asking for help in a venue such as BC is not for you.

Edited by britechguy, 26 April 2017 - 06:06 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the info, Brian. I tried them all and things seem to have improved slightly since my juvenile days. All the searches determined my country correctly and about half found out my city and not just the capital of the country. None could find anything more specific than that and they didn't list my ISP correctly, unless they outsourced their work to another company. Also, one was able to see what device and browser I am using, so I guess that's 'potentially' vulnerable information, but not really.
That was interesting. Thanks!:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users