Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't installl programs on windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 2pack2

2pack2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

Hello!

Today my mum got a new company laptop  and I was going to install some basic programs on it like winrar, vlc, ect but when I tried to instal them a message popped up saying are you sure you waht to enable this program to make changes to your system?  or something like that..ok I've seen this many times, so just click OK and go on, but there wasn't any Ok button, but it requested to put in username and password. I typed in username that popped up on screen when I turned on PC and for password I used the same one I used to unlock the PC, but when I clicked enter, a message saying: there are ccurrently no logon servers available to service our logon request. what is that all about? i don't know much about computers, but I would rather slove this myself with your help than giving it to my mum to take it back to the company she works for, because their IT guy will take the laptop for at leastt 2 weeks (he is horrible).

anyway, thanks for you help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

It is my suspicion that you've answered your own question with the phrase, "a new company laptop."

I would be shocked if this machine was set up such that the end user is permitted to install (or uninstall) anything on it.  Corporate IT departments generally like to exert 100% control over changes to any software, OS or application, on machines under their care.

I suspect that this is the case here, but have nothing other than my hunch to confirm it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

When I clean installed Win 10 creators update I found a setting which I hadn't noticed before. I too found that I couldn't install any of my programs & went looking for a setting, I found one concerning only allowing downloading/installing of apps from the MS App Store, I changed it to allow all installs & I could then install my programs.
Setting is found under 'Apps & Features'.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

When I clean installed Win 10 creators update I found a setting which I hadn't noticed before. I too found that I couldn't install any of my programs & went looking for a setting, I found one concerning only allowing downloading/installing of apps from the MS App Store, I changed it to allow all installs & I could then install my programs.
Setting is found under 'Apps & Features'.

There is that, too, but I'd find it really unlikely that any company issued machine is on Creators Update yet.

It appears that the "Installing Apps" setting on the Apps & Features Pane of the Apps Settings gets initially set up based upon the UAC level you have set.  If it's at the default or the highest setting (one notch above default) the "Allow apps only from the Store" level gets set.  If the UAC is either off or at the level where the screen is not dimmed the "Allow apps from anywhere" level gets set.

This was another of those really annoying new settings about which no information was offered as part of the installation of Creators Update or immediately upon completion of the installation.  I also had Fast Startup turned on again, and I am certain I turned it off, but this appears to have occurred with a very late update to the Anniversary Update (Version 1607) version of Windows 10.

Microsoft needs to stop resetting settings that the user has chosen to set to something other than their preferred defaults.  They also need to start giving users lots of information about new settings (the Apps and Gaming Settings are entirely new with Creators Update) when these are introduced.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users