Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep my preferred desktop layout

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:09 AM

I'd like to group similar programs on the desktop and leave the LHS free for recent downloads, but for some reason, occasionally all my icons are mostly left-justified.

Is there a way to  freeze a preferred desktop icon layout?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

they should stay wherever you put them,

just drag and drop them with your mouse

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

Geoff,

While the icons should stay where you put them I, too, have had the experience of "lets shove 'em all to the left" on several occasions.  It has happened at least once when File Explorer stopped working and Windows restarted it.  I also had it occur, I believe, immediately after a couple of updates, but I can't remember whether that was at the major updates or just regular ones.  I presume that whatever does this will eventually be fixed once they can identify exactly the situation(s) that trigger the occurrence of the event.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's a major annoyance to have to rearrange one's desktop all over again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

This may help you and others with this problem: there is an app called Restore Desktop. It lets you save your current desktop(s) and restore them as you wish so it only takes a couple of clicks. It creates links in the desktop context menu, for save, restore and some other options. I have used it a few times and found it a good time sever. I downloaded it from the apps store of the Maxthon browser but you should be able to find it with a search, or if not let me know and I will find the url. I use Maxthon, mostly for downloading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users