Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would 2x2-pin work in a 4x2 socket?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-970a-D3P. It requires an ATX 12V plug from the PSU. There are eight holes on the ATX_12V socket, arranged in a 4x2 pattern.

PSU is a Cooler Master RP-600-PCAR. This model of PSU is specifically advertised by the manufacturer as having an ATX_12V connector. However, this connector is only a 2x2-pin connector.

I'm currently having a problem where, if I press the power button, the machine comes on and the fans start spinning, but there is no display. 

This problem remains unchanged if I remove the ATX_12V connector from the motherboard.

Does this necessarily mean the ATX_12V connector deosn't work? Or is it possible that something else is the problem?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323153-30-power-connector-question

Louis

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

That doesn't answer my question.

My current build:

#4 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

If it helps at all, here's a little more detail on my symptoms:

When I press the power button, the light comes on and the fans start spinning, but there's no display.

However, to turn it off, I can't just press the power button again. I have to turn off the PSU.

Previously, back when the machine was working, I could just press the power button and it would shut off instantly, provided I was still in BIOS. Once the "starting windows" screen appeared, pressing the power button didn't shut it off immediately. But before that, pressing the button caused it to turn off just as quickly as if I flipped the switch on the PSU.

But now, once the machine is turned on, pressing the power button doesn't turn the machine off, even if I press it less than a second after it comes on. Flipping the switch on the back of the PSU is the only way to turn it off again.

Does that narrow down the possibilities of which part is broken? Or does that not mean anything one way or another?

My current build:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

Did the system work properly before you replaced the PSU?

Your topic title asks one thing while your explanation of your situation indicates something else, IMO.

If you replaced the PSU...what made you think that the PSU was the problem?

Louis

#6 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

If you replaced the PSU...what made you think that the PSU was the problem?

Well ... for starters, how do I know the replacement PSU wasn't dead on arrival?

This is mostly because I'm 100% blundering around in the dark, here! I haven't the foggiest idea what the problem is!

My current build:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Take the PSU...connect it to a different system...see if it works in that system.  Only requires use of a different system for 5 minutes or so.\

Louis

#8 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

What makes you think I HAVE another system? Or at least ... another desktop? You know desktop PSUs don't work on laptops or smartphones, right?

What? You think everyone is as rich as you? You can't fathom the idea that someone doesn't have their own private jet? You can't fathom that someone doesn't have about 20 or 30 Hispanic yardworkers on his payroll that each have their own desktop I can test it on?

Edited by stebbinsd, 27 April 2017 - 09:29 AM.

My current build:

#9 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Think about it for a minute: If I were as rich as you, why would I need a message board to help me troubleshoot? couldn't I just take my $5,000,000 private jet across the state to get the absolute best quality in-person repair service that money can buy?

And besides, even if you take wealth out of the equation ... if I had another desktop to test the PSU on, what honestly makes you think I wouldn't have already tried that? Do you just think I'm that stupid?!

My current build:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users