Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windload.exe digital signature could not be verified

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 microk

microk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

This word wall is necessary to gather all of the information.

Basically, my HDD was physically failing, so I bought a new one and cloned the failing one.

It's been working fine for about a month now.

A day or so ago I put the PC into 'Hibernate' mode. (I hadn't done this since I started using the new HDD)

When I woke up, it was booted onto the old HDD (I had forgotten to change the boot priority), and it was using 100% disk for ages. (not exactly normal)

At this time I didn't realize it was the old HDD, because of it being a near exact replica.  So I used it for half a day, everything was working fine.

Once I did realize it (missing projects and such), I booted into the new HDD.

Once using the new HDD I started finding a ton of really small, seemingly unrelated bugs.  Chrome wouldn't stop erroring, all chrome icons were missing, some things wouldn't launch, etc.

Though, everything else was fine.  Steam, Discord, Photoshop, Cinema 4D, and video games all ran fine.  So I don't think it's a hardware issue.

I assumed something had gotten corrupted because of it being put into 'Hibernation' and not being re-launched properly.

So I woke up today, and now no browsers will launch, but still all of my programs are working fine.

I turned the PC off to run a chkdsk and virus scan (I haven't downloaded any programs in weeks, though) and when it booted, I got the error in the title.

The operating system could not be loaded because the digital signature of the file couldn't be verified.

Files: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Error code: 0x0000428

It sounds like a virus, except I have not downloaded anything.

I have no idea what caused it, but it was working fine until I put it into Hibernate mode, which could be completely unrelated.

Edited by microk, 25 April 2017 - 06:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

If the old hdd was failing there is a very good chance that there was a lot of corrupted files.  When you cloned the old hdd you copied all of the corrupt files along with everything else.  Depending on the extent of the file corruption you might have been able to run sfc /scannow from the Command Prompt.  If the file corruption is extensive you will need to do a fresh installation.  If you need the installation media you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

The following command scans integrity of all protected Windows system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

#4 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Wanted to clarify, the old HDD wasn't actually proven to be failing yet, it was just making a lot more noise than it should and I bought a backup just in case.

The new clone was working perfectly through several reboots (for about two weeks) and even windows being upgraded.  This problem occurred after putting it in 'hibernate'.

Edit: and I can boot into the old HDD still, it's working fine.  I'll use this to make media tools this evening.

I'm having difficulty accessing a computer to make said media tools, but I will get to that ASAP.

@FreeBooter

I'll boot into WinRE, but I don't know how any of the drive lettering works, especially with two cloned drives. (does that even matter?)

Edited by microk, 26 April 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#5 lgordon225

lgordon225

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

Boot manager errors are the most terrible problems because you can’t boot to your operating system. In this case you need to use of recovery media. Then trying the suggestions these solutions

1. Rebuild Boot Manager And Perform Startup Repair
  2. Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Temporarily

Edited by lgordon225, 26 April 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#6 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Yes, thanks.

I'll try using the recovery media to fix it.  I'll post the results once I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users