Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Suggestion for home page

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Keep the Disappearing Non-Forum Header or Make it a Floating Stationary Header (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Should BleepingComputer change the Non-Forum header so its floating but does not disappear?

1. Voted Make it floating and not disappear. (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. I like it the way it is. (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

I really like all the updates and valuable info posted mostly posted by Catalin on news and security.
I problem I have, and some others have stated ... that the header on the web page bounces up/down at the slightest scroll movement of my mouse. Some have mentioned that this is annoying and I think so too. Is there anyway that the powers that be could change that header to be a stationary floating header, for the convenience of other links yes... but not the up/down annoyances? 
Much appreciated for the opportunity to offer my suggestion
Joe C

Edited by Grinler, 25 April 2017 - 12:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

Your not the first person who asked for this. I actually thought the disappearing header was a good thing in order to offer more screen realestate. If people would prefer the header to not disappear that of course can be arranged.

Would like to hear back from some more people before I make a decision.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

I also added a poll so we can gauge what people want.

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Well.... ain't no secret on how I'am voting is it? :grinner:

Thank you for adding this poll

Edited by Joe C, 25 April 2017 - 03:42 PM.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

I also have a poll up here:

https://twitter.com/BleepinComputer/status/856923409476923392

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

I would offer that a third option in the poll would be fit me..."it does not matter much to me". Either way is fine with me. This is largely because I mainly come here for the forums, so I did not really encounter the header issue until the original poster brought the issue up in another post (where I offered that turning off javascript or blocking a particular site, which I did not mention, would make it a floating header that did not disappear...feel free to yell at me if that was bad of me). I spend 99+% of my time here in the forums when I come to the site as I am mainly here to try to help other people with their computer/technology issues.

I can, however, see how it might annoy some after seeing it for myself. I could potentially see it annoying me if I did start to read more of the articles from the main page. In my case, the solution would be easy...just turn off javascript temporarily (easy to do with the Develop menu active on Safari) and have it float without disappearing. Screen real estate is not an issue for me (it helps that I am using a 27" 2560x1444 screen).

If I were to offer a suggestion, it would be to potentially have it not automatically disappear while floating, but then offer a manual button/switch to reduce the size of it either down to just the menus in the light blue or maybe even smaller if the desire is there for more screen real estate. I would assume this is doable. Or, if possible, provide a user setting to turn on/off the disappearing function...not sure if this is possible as my web page development skills are pretty non-existant.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Dont have an issue with it , never really came to my attention.

Had to go to Main Page and look again , scrolling down while reading its gone , if you go backup slightly it drops down , so handy if you need to go elsewhere.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

I also have no strong feelings on this simply because the behavior complained about (and I'd be complaining, too, if it happened to me) does not appear to be a widespread, let alone universal, phenomenon.  This seems to be the result of something idiosyncratic to a select few machines.

I do not get the "curtain" dropping down with each and every scroll.   That being said, since one can always shoot to the top of any BC page with a strike of the Home button (and I do this often) I certainly have no objection to this becoming a fixed feature at the top of the page.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

I do not get the "curtain" dropping down with each and every scroll.

I use a scroll wheel mouse. And the header will reappear with just one "click" up on the scroll wheel. As long as your are scrolling down, however, it will stay hidden. But, then just the slightest scroll up and it reappears.

Edit: I should note, as has been implied by at least me, the exception is in the forums. In the forums, it is a static header that stays at the top of the page, which does not both me at all as it is easy to "fling" the scroll wheel up to get to the top of the page quickly.

Edited by smax013, 26 April 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

I do not get the "curtain" dropping down with each and every scroll.

I use a scroll wheel mouse. And the header will reappear with just one "click" up on the scroll wheel. As long as your are scrolling down, however, it will stay hidden. But, then just the slightest scroll up and it reappears.

Edit: I should note, as has been implied by at least me, the exception is in the forums. In the forums, it is a static header that stays at the top of the page, which does not both me at all as it is easy to "fling" the scroll wheel up to get to the top of the page quickly.

Well, I do get essentially the same thing using a mouse pad and chiral scrolling if and only if I scroll back up from a spot further down the page.  I seldom do this, though not never.

Even when I'm using a scroll-wheel mouse, I am not a fan of what's commonly referred to as coasting and don't turn that on.  My equivalent of a "fling" such as you use is a single tap of the home key.

It's interesting to see how many ways that different people have of accomplishing exactly the same result and, often, the exact method that they use is what triggers certain features that drive them crazy as a result.  As a general rule I'm one of those folks who, when this occurs, tries to figure out what's causing it and then working around using whatever action or actions trigger it, substituting something else that achieves the same effect.

But, like I said earlier, I have nothing against the static header and, the more I think about it, believe I would prefer it.  I really like "knowing where things are" rather than having them "follow me."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

Well, I do get essentially the same thing using a mouse pad and chiral scrolling if and only if I scroll back up from a spot further down the page.  I seldom do this, though not never.

My laptop is hooked up to an external monitor and itself is sitting on a laptop tray mounted to a monitor arm, so I don't really actively use the trackpad for it. I use an external keyboard and mouse.

Even when I'm using a scroll-wheel mouse, I am not a fan of what's commonly referred to as coasting and don't turn that on.  My equivalent of a "fling" such as you use is a single tap of the home key.

My mouse does not have a true "coast" mode (i.e. where you can turn off the "click" aspect and having it roll with momentum), but I can get some of that effect due to the scrolling speed I have set for it in the settings. I rather like my mouse as I specifically found one that has about 10 or so buttons that I can then assign to various functions in the macOS (yes, Macs can use mice with more than one button :grinner:) by way of a third party driver program. It allows me to switch virtual screens, go to Mission Control, use back page/forward page, and other things without my hand needing to leave the mouse.

It's interesting to see how many ways that different people have of accomplishing exactly the same result and, often, the exact method that they use is what triggers certain features that drive them crazy as a result.  As a general rule I'm one of those folks who, when this occurs, tries to figure out what's causing it and then working around using whatever action or actions trigger it, substituting something else that achieves the same effect.

But, like I said earlier, I have nothing against the static header and, the more I think about it, believe I would prefer it.  I really like "knowing where things are" rather than having them "follow me."

I am still largely of the camp of "it does mot matter to me". That might change if I actively ventured out of the forums much and read stuff on the main/news pages. But, even then, I cannot say until I actually did. I might be fine with how it is...or it might annoy me. I cannot really say until I actually regularly encountered it. For the most part, I am pretty easy going and can live with most things or if not maybe find away around it. There are, however, on occasion, some things that will really annoy me. If that happens, I usually try to find my own fix or way around the annoyance as typically it is too much hassle with little to no reward to complain and hope someone else changes things. If I cannot find my own fix or way around, then I will then typically speak up in the hope that I can get something changed.

#12 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Understandably differing opinions and experiences will be expressed and that is as it should be. I have not given much thought nor am I irked by the actions of the header. However, since the inception of this query by the OP it certainly has become more visible.

I am on the fence with this one but if 'push came to shove', I would opt for the status quo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users