Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autocheck not found / Cannot repair / source file in store is also corrupted

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 autochkhelp

autochkhelp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hello :) I'm currently encountering the following issue, using W7 x64:

When I boot my laptop, I get the message 'autochk program not found, skipping autocheck', then it boots normally. The regular chkdsk program works properly if I launch it manually, but didn't fix the autochk issue. I ran a sfc /scannow and it identified these issues:

Cannot repair member file autochk.exe of Microsoft-Windows-Autochk, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, file is missing
This component was referenced by Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery
Could not reproject corrupted file C:\Windows\System32\autochk.exe source file in store is also corrupted

Cannot repair member file Amd64\PS5UI.DLL of ntprint.inf, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, Type = driverUpdate, file is missing
This component was referenced by Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.INF_ntprint

Cannot repair member file mssprxy.dll of WindowsSearchEngine, Version = 7.0.7601.17610, hash mismatch
This component was referenced by Package_1_for_KB2547666~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.2547666-2_neutral_GDR
Could not reproject corrupted file C:\Windows\System32\mssprxy.dll; source file in store is also corrupted

Cannot repair member file msutb.dll of Microsoft-Windows-TextServicesFramework-msutb, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, file is missing
This component was referenced by Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery
Could not reproject corrupted file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msutb.dll source file in store is also corrupted

Since the backup source files that scannow uses to fix corrupt files are also corrupt/missing, how am I supposed to recover these files? I don't have access to a W7 x64 install disc to copy the files as it came pre-installed when I purchased the laptop. Googling for a fix on the autochk issue leads me to the following Windows fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778 it's supposed to be an update that reinstalls autochk on Seven but I tried it and I get a message saying it's not compatible for my computer. Compatibility seems to be an issue. I have access to another computer with Seven but it's a x86 version and I'm unsure if copied files are compatible.

Besides autochk, there are 3 other corrupt files, mssprxy - is used for the Search function, it doesn't work so I installed another software for searches -, PS5UI.DLL/ntprint.inf and msutb.dll - I don't know the purpose of these two - I would also like to fix those dll files.

What would be the best and safest way to obtain compatible versions of these files and replace them? I'm not sure if dll sites like dll-files.com are trustworthy nor would I replace a system exe file with a version found randomly online.

Any help or suggestion greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chadatcoderedcomp

chadatcoderedcomp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Try this - DISM fix utility for corrupt windows -   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

#3 autochkhelp

autochkhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

Try this - DISM fix utility for corrupt windows -   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried this update but it didn't fix anything.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

Is autochk.exe located in C:\Windows\System32?   If not run sfc /scannow at a command prompt.

#5 chadatcoderedcomp

chadatcoderedcomp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

Okay, just to verify, you ran this command in an Elevated Command Prompt?

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

What were the results it produced? You can run it again to provide them.

#6 autochkhelp

autochkhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

Is autochk.exe located in C:\Windows\System32?   If not run sfc /scannow at a command prompt.

No autochk.exe in system32, I think it has been removed by a previous chkdsk after being detected as corrupted.

Okay, just to verify, you ran this command in an Elevated Command Prompt?

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

What were the results it produced? You can run it again to provide them.

The page linked indicates that the DISM method is for Windows 10 and 8, I tried to run it anyway but it doesn't work, the Restorehealth command is not supported by 7. For 7 the page says to use their System Update Readiness tool, I ran it twice and it produced no results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users