Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 (Pro): System Freezes completely

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The_Seventh

The_Seventh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

hello,

first time posting, so apologies in advance in case it's not according to protocol or posted at the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone have any suggestions to solve an issue I have,

ever since I bought a new PC and installed Windows on it, I was having issues where the PC would completely freeze (at least once a day, even several times a day),

and the only way you could get it to work again is by a hard reset (long press of the power button. Power off and Power on).

there wasn't any BSOD or DUMP file as far as I saw, so I tried several things to eliminate the issue, but haven't succeeded yet.

·         Tried installing all Windows Updates.

·         latest graphics card drivers

·         memory check through "mdsched.exe" no issues found

·         tried increasing Paging file size up to 16 GB (operating system is on an 240G SSD)

·         windows disk check showed no errors

·         system file checker "sfc /scannow" no issues were found

·         uninstalled several programs and reinstalled them after the issue persisted, (Malwarebytes is currently installed but it happened when it wasn’t installed too, saw a post here recommending it wouldn’t be installed and may cause the issue)

PC Details:

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? Windows 10 Pro
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
· What was original installed OS on system? Fresh install - new PC (installed on December 2016) 
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? full Retail Version
· Age of system (hardware) new parts that were bought on December 2016, were not in use before as far as I know.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? no, haven't re installed the OS

· CPU Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
· Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)  MSI Z170A MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM(MS-7A16)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop) THERMALTAKE  630W 

· System Manufacturer  Not a Branded PC, built from selected components: MSI
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)  
MS-7A16

· Laptop or Desktop?  Desktop

attached are two files based on “BSOD Posting Instructions”:

1. SensitiveFileCollectionApp.zip
  2. Perfmon.zip

Started the Driver Verifier today based on the recommendation and will post the result once the 24 hours have ended.

Thought I might add that I was having issues with my ISP for the last month and the connection to the internet was dropping frequently several times a day due to DSL connection drops, so any response time errors are most likely due to that and not the WIFI Adapter.

If you have any suggestions or need any further details please let me know,

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aharon

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

MalwareBytes issues were based on a problem driver that has since been fixed.
Here's a link for more info:  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/199028-bsod-bad-pool-header-crash-fixed-by-mb-306-cu4/

I see that the SonicWall Virtual NIC is disabled in the perfmon report.

Please uninstall it while we're troubleshooting.

If it's needed, then feel free to download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible version and install that.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 1.20) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have a D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Adapter(rev.D):

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

There are very few entries in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

There are very few events in the System and Application log entries from Event Viewer

If using a disk cleaner (such as CCleaner) please stop until we are finished troubleshooting this issue.

If this doesn't fix things, then please run the system until it freezes at least 3 times (more is better).  Recover after each freeze and continue on.
This will generate error messages that may help us troubleshoot this.

After you've recovered from the last freeze, please immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 The_Seventh

The_Seventh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hi USASMA,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply,

I am installing all the latest motherboard drivers and will let you know if there is any issue after that.

(need to be near the PC to update the Bios - not using remote connection)

unfortunately i have no physical line connection in the room where the PC is, so i must use the wireless adapter for the time being,

I will search for the latest driver as you suggested.

i have attached an event viewer error report from today in case that helps.

once i have all the required installation i will share the requested reports for your review.

Thank you very much for helping, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Aharon

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

This is part of the text of the Critical Error in your Event log:

The description for Event ID 41 from source Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

As the kernel is a critical part of the OS, either something on the system has modified it or the OS installation is corrupted.

This is what the error looks like when you force a shutdown by holding the power button (this is the entire Critical Error - Event ID 41 text from my system):

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

More info on the Critical Error - Event ID 41:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

At work we have a lot of success with a repair install of W10:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

If you wish to try other things, here's my "repair/restore" canned speech:

NOTE:  Try a clean boot to see if the problem clears up that way:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
If it does, then different troubleshooting steps are called for.

Here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order).   Be sure to backup your stuff if you don't want to take the chance of losing it.:

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)  - doesn't work if you're not able to boot to Windows (let me know and I'll post a way to do it from Startup Repair)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption. Include the CBS log (located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) if you'd like to have a Windows Update expert check it (I don't check them because I can't read them)

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 26 April 2017 - 06:23 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 The_Seventh

The_Seventh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

hi Guys,

first of all I want to say thanks for the very professional assistance,

after updating the BIOS and a few drivers from the motherboard Manufacturer I noticed that the issue stopped,

ever since April 25th 2017, there wasn't a single issue which is amazing.

I will list the driver I installed below in case it will help in the future to someone else.

just wanted to say thanks for taking your time to assist a stranger, you guys rock!

Installed Drivers:

·         Type      AMI BIOS                                                             Title       Version 1.3                                                                              Release Date      2017-01-03

·         Type      On-Board SATA AHCI/RAID Drivers                     Title       Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver                                    Release Date      2017-01-17

·         Type      On-Board VGA Drivers                                         Title       Intel VGA Driver                                                                      Release Date      2017-04-13

·         Type      On-Board Audio Drivers                                       Title       Realtek High Definition Audio Driver                                       Release Date      2017-04-13

·         Type      LAN Drivers                                                          Title       Intel Network Drivers                                                               Release Date      2017-01-03

·         Type      Others Drivers                                                      Title       Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver                                    Release Date      2017-01-17

·         Type      Others Drivers                                                      Title       ASMedia USB3.0/3.1 Drivers                                                   Release Date      2017-01-03

·         Type      Others Drivers                                                      Title       Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix                   Release Date      2017-01-03

·         Type      System & Chipset Drivers                                     Title       Intel Chipset Driver                                                                  Release Date      2017-01-03

Not sure it is needed but thought I might add a few notes on your suggestions above:

I ran the driver verification for 24 hours and there was no issue identified,

(The test ran in parallel with the installation of the updated the drivers ).

Had an issue working with “SpeedFan v. 4.5.1”, the application tried to use my local alphabet characters instead of English and was unreadable (probably a character set issue),

Tried to solve it by changing my default language and location but once it didn’t succeed I moved on and I ended up not using it.

Did not try to  "repair/restore" or a clean Install (Yet).

Thanks very much for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users