Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

?: Monitor recommendation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Hello,

Brand new here and looking forward to interacting with you folks.

Im a semi-professional photographer and have been editing my images on laptops for many years. I recently was in a Fry's Electronics store and while looking at the monitors I decided that Id like to start doing my processing on a larger screen (24"-27").

Id really like to get your opinions as to which monitors you like, recommend and/or use for photo and video editing that are within my budget of $500-$800.

Ideally, as a photographer, I would like to get as many of these features as possible:

1. High resolution 

2. Color accuracy

3. IPS panel

4. Wide viewing angles

5. Ability to adjust hue and/or set multiple color profiles

6. Minimum 300 NITS brightness

7. Not an overly reflective display

8. Wide color gamut 

I know this is quite a wish list for the budget I have, but I wanted to list the things that are important for my use.

Thank you very much for your time and expertise. 

best to you,

Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

Rick,

I hope you get some responses from other photographers who have the same "use profile" as you do.  I'm not one of those.

I say the following with no snark intended:  Get shopping using your own list!!    You will quickly find that there are a limited number of monitors that fit the "has most or all of what I'm looking for" list within the price range you wish to pay.

The problem with a question like yours is that monitors, like so much other computer equipment, come into and out of production at lightning speed (though a bit less so for monitors these days).  What someone else bought just a couple of months ago may be long gone as far as what's currently being offered.  Of course you still might find quite a bit of "new old stock" [for a very perverse definition of that term] on the shelves.

Also, when it comes to "what your eye likes" that's so personal that what one person loves may leave you entirely cold and vice versa.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for your input Brian. I appreciate it.

I was interested to see if anyone had a particular monitor they really liked for photo editing purposes, but yes, it is a lot about personal choice.

I'm going to take a look at some and will share my thoughts. Ive looked at the Dell line and they've got some nice Ultra Sharp models that run about $500 that seem to have a lot of what I'm looking for.

thanks again,

Rick

#4 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

hi,

for pro use or for any other serious task your only option is 

liyama and eizo

nothing less...

i do not have any personal experience with those monitors but you can find too many infos and reviews on the net

these monitors are the best and the price is within your budget

these monitors is the industry standard in animation and visual effects studios, 3d, video and photo editing just to mention a few...

good luck

Edited by nickos, 25 April 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#5 greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Thank you Nikos. I appreciate the input.

I have looked at Eizo and they are excellent. Ive not heard of liyama but will definitely check them out! :-)

thanks again!

Rick

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

I have to agree with Nickos on the Iiyama. I have heard good things about Eizos but I have never seen or used one. I bought a 24 inch Iiyama a couple of years ago and an delighted with it. the illunination is extremely even and the colour rendition superb, but have a look yourself. As Britechguy said above, what looks great to me may not to you. It could be my eyes !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the input Chris!

Is your monitor glossy or matte? Glad to hear you are happy with it.

I sent iiyama an email today and they responded and told me they would have a recommendation for me tomorrow.

Chris, can you adjust the color on your monitor? Thats something Id really like, just in case you wanted to change the hue a bit.

thanks again :-)

Rick

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,165 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:03 PM

I've had the opportunity to use a HP Z27X Dreamcolor monitor, and it seemed good, but it's an expensive monitor.  I'm not a pro photographer, I just know it is aimed at that market. I noticed it's smaller brother, the Z24X on sale at what looks like a good price.  Might be worth a look?

Edited by jonuk76, 25 April 2017 - 09:04 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

I've had the opportunity to use a HP Z27X Dreamcolor monitor, and it seemed good, but it's an expensive monitor.  I'm not a pro photographer, I just know it is aimed at that market. I noticed it's smaller brother, the Z24X on sale at what looks like a good price.  Might be worth a look?

Thanks for the heads up!! I looked at the reviews and many have said that it is a great monitor, especially for the price.

Appreciate the input jonuk76!

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,165 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

No problem. Also worth noting there is an auto calibration kit available for that monitor (sadly not cheap). I think they are set up reasonably well out of the box but for professionals, it's an option to improve colour accuracy. I know some Eizo's self calibrate but these are seriously expensive!

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

good afternoon my friends,

if you really need such as pro grade monitor then why not to buy but do you really need such as monitor ?

i think that you can do your job very well with a cheaper monitor as well ...

many professionals they still use those old crt monitors !!! sony trinitron, barco just to mention a few

trt monitors have strong colors with excellent clarity and strong contrast even by todays standards 

personally i still have tow of my old crt monitors... one is not working and is worthing to spend thirty euros for repair it..

a good choice is the lg 22 or 24 inches monitors and with some calibration your job will be done (simple adjust of color, brightness, contrast)

lg have a very good reputation on ''natural colors'' with good contrast as well 

personally i have an lg 22 inches monitor since 2012 and i am fully satisfied even with my pro video edits i am doing (i always check my finish product on different tv sets) 

i haven't had any complain till now for my finished product quality

also, you do not have to worry about how fast is your monitor... even the best monitors still have some minor problems under some very fast action scenes...

good luck

Edited by nickos, 26 April 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Another brand to look at would be NEC. While they do make some "consumer level" monitors, many of their monitors are more aimed at prosumer or pros doing things that require color accuracy like photo editing. And they will have quite a few what I might call "prosumer" level (Newegg still called them "consumer", but in my experience most "consumer" level customers are going to pay $500+ for a monitor when you can get equal size and resolution for much cheaper, but likely lower color quality control) models in your price range. If you want one of their more pro models at the size you specified, you likely will be over your budget.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users