Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Laptop won't start I want to access the files on the Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gibot

Gibot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Hello,

I'm desperately hoping someone/anyone can help me/reassure me. My old laptop won't start and I want preserve the data on the hard drive. 

This is my old University laptop and I will be devastated if I have lost the Photos and other documents stored on the hard drive :(

It is a Windows XP Sony Vaio. I stopped using it but kept it because I wanted to copy the files but never got around to it. My parents moved it to the garage and after finding it covered in cobwebs I cleaned and it started but went to a black screen with white text saying something about a boot device an pressing any key. I turned it off and went to the house and now it won't turn on at all.

Can I remove the hard drive and plug it into another PC to get the files?

If so how would I go about this? If not what are my options? I had a password login so would that affect access to the files?

Thanks in advance for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

Pull your hard drive out of the laptop. Determine if IDE or SATA hard drive?

IDE http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/i/ide.htm
SATA http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/sata.htm

Use a HDD Docking Stations https://www.startech.com/au/HDD/Docking/
or
SATA to 2.5in or 3.5in IDE Hard Drive Adapter for HDD Docks. https://www.startech.com/au/HDD/Adapters/SATA-to-IDE-Hard-Drive-Adapter-for-HDD-Docks~SAT2IDEADP

How do I connect an IDE drive to SATA? http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001599.htm

Good luck.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

i have one of these for last 6 yrs and works well on Ide Sata , via Usb , and Powered.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_img_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TB73M8BR9FCHW9YPKFJ1

Connect the Drive to a working PC , explore the drive for files.

Any Folders that may be locked or inaccesible , you may need to boot from Linux Distro { Knoppix } or others to gain access that way.

Download an ISO , burn to Disc , and boot from it , explore the Drive again.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

You and me both!   I've been using this style of USB drive connection for data transfer and attempted recovery for years now.

I can't see the point in getting an enclosure for a one-off activity.  If you make sure you're working on a static free surface, such as cotton cloth or a glass table top or similar, you don't have any issues with the drives working just fine.   If they're laptop drives you don't even need the external power source.  A cheap and effective product that, were you so inclined, you could feel free to donate to a thrift store when you are done with it and feel no great financial loss.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

I also have one of these. Inexpensive and works like a charm on both IDE and SATA drives.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

+1.  Inexpensive, easy, way to go for those infrequent instances where you want access to data on a different working drive.

Louis

#7 Gibot

Gibot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for your advice. I'll order one and see how it goes. I'm still worried that because I had a password login to XP I won't be able to access the files.. 

I'll be back with an update when I can

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

A password login to Windows...is of no import to accessing data files, at any time.  The password exists to discourage/defeat autologin to users...nothing more.

The only problem I could possibly envision accessing files can probably be overcome by taking ownership of the files.

Worth A Look.

Louis

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

I have always been able to access all files on external drives by taking ownership via Windows, and it will prompt you when that's necessary.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

Taking Ownership as stated above works fine.

I just prefer booting from a Linux Distro { Knoppix } and go and grab what you want from the Drive.

As for Password Login Xp , thats within a windows enviroment / Booting Linux isnt.

Let us know how you go and which method suited you.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

Taking Ownership as stated above works fine.

I just prefer booting from a Linux Distro { Knoppix } and go and grab what you want from the Drive.

And I have nothing against booting from a Linux Distro if you know how to do so or are an adventurous soul who takes a couple of minutes to research how you do so and what to expect.

I've just found that a lot of folks (no matter what their "native" operating system may be) tend to freeze when confronted something that's even slightly outside their personal comfort zone.

If the drive is large and there's a lot of data the Linux solution can definitely be faster as it can take Windows quite a while to take ownership of a vast number of files.

#12 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

yep.  pull the hard drive and put it in a HD dock.  hopefully it's still readable.

#13 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:29 AM

I'm still worried that because I had a password login to XP I won't be able to access the files.

If you have encrypted any files on that hard drive using the Encrypting File System, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encrypting_File_System then these files WILL NOT be accessible.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users