Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

durable and functional advice needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

My wife would be mad if she saw this and she denies it every time but, she's a bit rough with electronic equipment if she's having a hard time with it... which happens... often enough.  :( 
Sometimes she opens a laptop a little too aggressively...  things of that nature.  They're just not all made extremely well for that kind of thing. 
Anyway...  long story made short...  I have to get her something new and soon.  She's doing a lot on Ebay, shopping, selling... couponing...  facebook... and little else. 

May just pick out another laptop...  wouldn't mind one of those rugged ones but those are WAY too expensive... 

Sometimes I think a tablet would be good for her...  and some time ago, microsoft had a commercial for a tablet they were dropping off of things and it was still holding up.  (anyone know which one that was?)

Problem with that is... she seems to have trouble doing some things on some tablets.  I don't know if it's just the cheap tablets she's tried or if tablets are simply limited compared to a laptop.  She needs to be able to use certain apps and/or programs for certain sites she visits. 
I wish there was a real easy solution to her computer woes...  she always says "this thing is a piece of junk" and she says it about every computer she ends up taking over...  I try to suggest it might not be the machine but she doesn't want to hear that.  What can you do?

Anyway.....

Any suggestions?  laptop vs tablet?  recommended brands for someone that might not be super gentle???  thoughts at all?
:)
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:01 PM

I can't remember the brand or the brand's model, however, at one of the schools I sub for, I saw a laptop with the hinge almost "all the way across" from left to right, none of that tiny two hinge connection.  It looked pretty rugged to me.  I think to some degree, you will get what you pay for if you buy from a business-oriented computer store.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,298 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

How much are you willing to spend?

My personal opinion is that tablets are for consumption and laptops are for creation.  The apps and programs she needs will be the actual determination.  I bought a cheap Android tablet because the Kindle Fire HD doesn't easily connect to the Google Play store, where most companies put their applications.

Quality doesn't come cheap.  I'd recommend getting either a Dell (Latitude or Precision) or HP (EliteBook or ZBook) business model with accidental damage coverage.  If the computer has a solid state drive all the better.  I know the HP business models come with a three year warranty and pretty sure that the Dell computers do too.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

I saw a laptop with the hinge almost "all the way across" from left to right, none of that tiny two hinge connection.  It looked pretty rugged to me. 

now that would be something.  We have a couple of laptops with some duct tape in those corners from not being able to put some of those screws in... one of my biggest issues is the area where the screws connect in the cases is not very strong....  poor design in my opinion.

Are MS tablets like actually having windows?  Eh, I asked my wife for a list of things that frustrated her with the tablets she's used...  here it is...

1.  Pages reloading when switching tabs.  She's tried two different tablets and an Ipad and, if she's on facebook typing something up and then opens a new tab to check spelling(for instance), when she goes back to the facebook tab it reloads by itself losing everything she just typed.

2.  Copy and paste.  She's had trouble being able to do that especially if all she wants to copy doesn't fit on the screen.

3.  Screen so small, makes it hard to navigate web pages.

4. Crashing browsers...  being in pages and just having browsers close down losing anything she had up.  She's had this issue on a few tablets.  Not on the Ipad, and I will say the tablets she's used are no name cheap things...  So that might be just a cheap problem or a low memory problem or,?

5.  Not being able to listen to a youtube video while going to another tab.  I'm guessing leaving the tab pauses the video?

6.  coupon printing.  At least the tablets she's used will ask her for a phone number if she tries to print a coupon using whatever she uses.  Doesn't do that to her on a laptop.

We have a win7 toshiba I'm trying to make sure runs and if it does, it's hers...  (she needs to stop sharing with the kids as they do their schoolwork on them)  But it's been giving me trouble... possible corrupt files on there.  Need to run checkdisk again I think...  that's what windows startup repair told me yesterday anyway. 
It seems to work at least sometimes so if I can get that running we might be okay... but, in case that doesn't work out or my wife simply doesn't like that one(or something), I'm asking about all of this.  Hopefully I can get something working well enough for her that she doesn't "borrow" the kids' computers or complain TOO much.  :)

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Oh, IF we go with something new...  willing to spend a few hundred, up to 4 perhaps...  we'll see... if we need to go that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users