Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Not Booting Up RAM Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bluewind

Bluewind

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

I've got a pc which I'm using now that has served for a good 6 years now. Just this Friday I decided to give it a good thorough cleaning to get rid of accumulated dust inside the components.

Bought a compressed air can to blow them out, took them out and assemble them back, and to my dismay the pc won't boot up.

Specs :-

Asus P8P67 PRO

Intel i5 2500k

2GB x 4 Kingston DDR3 1333mhz RAM (8GB total)

MSI GTX 750 Ti

1TB HDD

128GB M4 Crucial SSD

The DRAM LED on the motherboard stays solid red all the time when I have all 4 sticks RAM occupying the DIMM slots. I've tried clearing CMOS and push MemOK button with no positive results at all. So I tried one stick at a time and found that slots A2 & B2 is working; hence I'm able to seek for help in this forum. When I tried plugging the working RAM into slots A1 or B1, neither of them will boot the PC up. Oddly enough when I tried the remaining of my sticks with slots A2 & B2, they showed solid red DRAM led. Only my first two RAM sticks able to boot up using A2 & B2 slots.

What stumbles me is that if slots A2 & B2 is working fine, my 3rd and 4th RAM should be able to work on them. As it stands right now, I am not sure if the ones that are not working is DIMM slots or both DIMM slots and 3rd and 4th sticks is faulty.

I've tried reseating the CPU a few times with no success. Previously all my RAM sticks were working fine prior to the cleaning. So did I damage something or am I missing anything here?

Edited by Bluewind, 24 April 2017 - 09:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Note that testing each module separately...then in pairs...then in multi-pairs...is the recommendation.

Louis

#3 Bluewind

Bluewind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

I can't even get my unused RAM sticks to boot up the PC using working DIMM slots. Does this mean the module is dead for good? I cannot believe that it would happen so sudden. It was working properly before the cleaning. Sigh.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Make sure there isn't any gunk on the gold contacts of the RAM slots.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users