Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux 4.11 delayed for a week by NVMe glitches and 'oops fixes'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

The Register hasn't needed to spend much time covering Linux 4.11 because hiccups haven't happened and Linux daddy Linus Torvalds' comments have been sparse and measured, other than a slightly terse lesson on how to Pull properly.

But today he's posted that this version of Linux has hit a speed bump in the form of “NVMe power management that apparently causes problems on some machines.”

“It's not entirely clear what caused the [NVMe] issue (it wasn't just limited to some NVMe hardware, but also particular platforms), but let's test it.” Which sounds like a good idea, given that flash memory on the PCIe bus is increasingly mainstream.

That problem and “a couple of really annoying” bugs mean that Torvalds has decided to do an eighth release candidate for Linux 4.11.

“I did get fixes for the issues that popped up, so I could have released 4.11 as-is,” Torvalds wrote, “but it just doesn't feel right.”

“It's not like another week of letting this release mature will really hurt,” he adds, before wrapping up his Sunday afternoon post with “So go out and test, guys and gals, and make sure that I can do a final release next weekend instead, ok?”

“It's not like another week of letting this release mature will really hurt,” 

I wish other companies followed this credo. Not push it out on a certain date at all costs and worry about it later. 

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:26 AM

As I'm running a MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe SSD while typing this post on Linux Mint MATE 18.1, am glad that Linus made the right call. :thumbsup:

Spoiler

While many who works under Linus reports many of the same things that was also in the work environment of the late Steve Jobs (being employed by a tyrant), there's a certain trait that both has in common & that's attention to details, demanding perfection from every employee on the payroll. Doesn't matter if it's a top software or sanitation engineer, Linus wants it right, and when alive, so did Jobs. :)

This line of employment is a 'dog eat dog' business, highly competitive & anyone can be replaced (Jobs himself once was fired from the corporation he founded), there's always one who'll obey if one holding a position doesn't, or if one who is not in the 'inner circle' makes a mistake, no matter how large or small. That's just the way it is & will always be. When I was last employed, my superior had only one reason for calling in sick, better be in the hospital, other than Federally protected employment laws, such as maternity or family leave. Not if one has an aching back or sore knees. :lol:

As well as demanded no less than perfection from all of those under him. While some critics posts articles about these employers, the truth is, the majority of the employees wants a strong leader, who doesn't put up with off the wall crap & is generally respected, not feared. 

In this case, am glad that Linus showed his authority, because if a kernel messes up my Mint install n NVMe SSD, I want to know why. Because the truth is that Linux had support for these drives long before most Windows users (including myself) had heard of these. In fact, these SSD's were running on a now unsupported Ubuntu 12.04/Linux Mint 13 LTS, among the first testbeds for NVMe. This is one (of the many) examples where new hardware was deployed on Linux datacenters long before hitting the consumer market. In fact, just 2-3 years back, these type of SSD's with 4-5 years of non-stop usage in a corporate/business environment (1TiB size) were sold as secure erased on eBay for $1,000 or higher, and still had 95% of it's lifespan left. 

Now we can purchase the same size (1TiB) new for as little as $500 (Samsung 960 EVO) & pricing inching upwards steadily, as there's a shortage on NAND chips, so the rapid drop in SSD pricing has came to a halt. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147595&ignorebbr=1

Make that $619 for the Samsung 960 PRO 1TiB model, the 512GB version is a bit higher in cost than what I paid for the same sized 950 PRO a year or so back, however note that the PRO is better rated, like most everything else, we get what we pay for. :)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147597

At any rate, us Linux users who are running these drives don't want things messed up over rushed decisions, Linus won't allow that to happen. :thumbsup:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 25 April 2017 - 05:30 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users