Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random network disconnects after reformatting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gibdo

gibdo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

As the title says, I've been getting disconnects pretty randomly after reformatting. The issue existed on my old install too and I fixed it, however I can't seem to find whatever solution I used back then again now. I find it often happens when I'm gaming, specifically playing League/Overwatch, downloading something, or watching a youtube video. When it disconnects while I'm watching a youtube video, chrome also hangs/crashes.

I've tried multiple network adaptors, obviously reformatting, and any fix I've found online to no avail. I'm also the only one this happens to on my entire network, which holds 7 computers + devices.

After looking in Event Viewer, I've also found this relevant event:

Name resolution for the name td.demdex.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

This happens whenever I disconnect, and I don't think I've ever seen two of the same URL.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Reinstall your OS.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

#3 gibdo

gibdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

Reinstall your OS.

Did that just a few months ago when I got an SSD. Is it worth doing it again?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

Are you connecting via Wifi or Ethernet? Whichever you use disable the other in Device Manager. In other words if you have a laptop with both Ethernet and Wifi and you use Ethernet disable the Wifi Adapter.

Make sure if using Wifi to allow full power to the adapter. If Wifi delete your Wifi Profile and create it again.

Disable Ipv6 on your adapter and see if that helps.

Right click the Network Adapter you use, Wifi or Ethernet, and right click in Device Manager. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Post the first line.

What is the make and model of the computer or MB if a custom build.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 April 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#5 gibdo

gibdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

Are you connecting via Wifi or Ethernet? Whichever you use disable the other in Device Manager. In other words if you have a laptop with both Ethernet and Wifi and you use Ethernet disable the Wifi Adapter.

Make sure if using Wifi to allow full power to the adapter. If Wifi delete your Wifi Profile and create it again.

Disable Ipv6 on your adapter and see if that helps.

Right click the Network Adapter you use, Wifi or Ethernet, and right click in Device Manager. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Post the first line.

What is the make and model of the computer or MB if a custom build.

First line: USB\VID_2001&PID_3315&REV_0000

MB: GA-990FXA-UD3

I use WiFi. Could my Tap drivers be causing this issue, by the way? They call themselves Ethernet.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

I am not sure about the TAP drivers. Your going through a VPN?

This is a USB dongle for Wifi? What is the make and model?

#7 gibdo

gibdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

I am not sure about the TAP drivers. Your going through a VPN?

This is a USB dongle for Wifi? What is the make and model?

D-Link DWA-182 is the dongle.

I have OpenVPN installed, but I am not constantly connected through it, no.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Do you know which hardware version you have. They may be a tag on the dongle listing it as A or C. The C version has Windows 10 drivers but the A does not. A would use Window's own drivers. It seems every Windows 10 major upgrade results in connection issues.

If you want to rule out a hardware issue and the driver for the dongle is available in the linux kernel you could boot a live linux disk and see if you get connection issues. Burn the iso to a DVD or use Rufus to create a bootable USB dongle.

Mint Cinnamon 64bit

#9 gibdo

gibdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

Do you know which hardware version you have. They may be a tag on the dongle listing it as A or C. The C version has Windows 10 drivers but the A does not. A would use Window's own drivers. It seems every Windows 10 major upgrade results in connection issues.

If you want to rule out a hardware issue and the driver for the dongle is available in the linux kernel you could boot a live linux disk and see if you get connection issues. Burn the iso to a DVD or use Rufus to create a bootable USB dongle.

Mint Cinnamon 64bit

I have Hardware version C1. It's also worth noting I've tried another adaptor and had similar issues.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Have you disabled USB selective suspend?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html

Did you install the Dlink driver or did Windows 10 install it's own driver?

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=dwa-182

Worth a read

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2479527/windows-10-is-dropping-wifi-connections-with-no-fix-from-microsoft-yet

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 April 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#11 gibdo

gibdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

Windows installed it, however, it seems to be the Dlink one. I downloaded the linked driver and tried to update, but windows said it was already up to date.

EDIT: Uninstalled my adaptor and then used the D-Link program to reinstall it. So far things seem to be working normally, though Skype seems to be having difficulties connecting. I'll update the thread later if I experience any more issues. Thanks.

Edited by gibdo, 23 April 2017 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users