Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I GOT ONE FOR YA...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

new self built system less than 2 years old.  woke up this morning and no video.  everything powers up and lights up.  all fans spin.  swapped video cards, swapped PCI-E slots, swapped monitors, swapped VGA and DVI, re-seated MEM, no video.  the mobo is asus and the PS is a good quality one.  it's gotta be either the mobo or PS?  what do you fine folks think?  THANKS...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

hi,

first remove your cmos battery from your motherboard and disconnect your pc from the mains

remove your ram dimms and disconnect your power supply cable from the motherboard

leave it that way for lets say fifteen minutes, sometimes there is a problem with static electricity and you need to disconnect some parts

put your cmos battery back, install again your ram dimms and connect your power supply cable

normally your pc will be booted and you will see the boot screen unless there is a hardware problem...

you must first try some things like the above mentioned before anything else

good luck

Edited by nickos, 23 April 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Power supply would be my bet.  Even good power supplies go bad eventually.

Did anything change between the last time it worked and when it stopped?  Was it moved?

#4 dna9

dna9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

Power supply would be my bet.  Even good power supplies go bad eventually.

Did anything change between the last time it worked and when it stopped?  Was it moved?

nope.  nothing changed, nothing moved.  i woke up in the morning and went to use it and no dice.  i think i'm gonna RMA the PS from SEASONIC.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'm interested in how it failed and what it does now.  You had the unit ON, overnight and it failed before morning??  I would pick the PS first.  What sounds do you hear when you turn it on??  What do you see??  Some units have speakers and will issue a beep code.

#6 dna9

dna9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

I'm interested in how it failed and what it does now.  You had the unit ON, overnight and it failed before morning??  I would pick the PS first.  What sounds do you hear when you turn it on??  What do you see??  Some units have speakers and will issue a beep code.

it always runs because i run a server.  no beep code, no BIOS, no video, nothing.  no sounds.  i went to use it and it wouldn't wake up.  a blank screen.  ASUS mobo so i'm thinking PS.  only about a year and a half old.  thanks for your reply...

#7 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:34 AM

I'm having a similar problem. Unfortunately, this could be nearly anything. The PSU? The motherboard? The CPU? You name it. The only way to know for sure is to take it to a local repair shop.

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

The crazy thing I'm seeing from a lot of clients is this "sleep"  or "hibernate" that M$ has come up with.  I've seen too many PS failures from this "failure to awaken" option.  Both desktops and laptops, but mostly laptops.  I run a server but it has no monitor and needs to be rebooted to find one when attached.  No operation when powered on leads to the PS  but have had some faults with the front panel switch.  The new designs call for a low voltage power switch on the front panel, keeping any line voltages (110 V. AC) confined within the PS cage.  This means there has to be a five volt logic supply running all the time to power the switch.  Un plugging a unit will kill all voltages and then powering up may give some other or different faults or activity (fans, LEDs etc).

#9 dna9

dna9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

The crazy thing I'm seeing from a lot of clients is this "sleep"  or "hibernate" that M$ has come up with.  I've seen too many PS failures from this "failure to awaken" option.  Both desktops and laptops, but mostly laptops.  I run a server but it has no monitor and needs to be rebooted to find one when attached.  No operation when powered on leads to the PS  but have had some faults with the front panel switch.  The new designs call for a low voltage power switch on the front panel, keeping any line voltages (110 V. AC) confined within the PS cage.  This means there has to be a five volt logic supply running all the time to power the switch.  Un plugging a unit will kill all voltages and then powering up may give some other or different faults or activity (fans, LEDs etc).

ya i hear ya about the hibernate thing.  also if anything happens and you try to recover the hard drive becomes "locked" and it will say "there is un-kept metadata" and you got to wipe it.  thanks for your reply but it was running ubuntu linux at the time.

#10 dna9

dna9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

* SOLVED *   yep, just as i suspected it was the power supply.  i'm doing an RMA as we speak to SEASONIC.  thanks for all your help peeps!   :thumbup2:

Edited by dna9, 30 April 2017 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users