Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 bit Windows 10 upgrade to 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

My laptop has 32bit win 10 and find that I can only upgrade memory to a max of 4gb

If I could have 64 bit windows I could upgrade to 8gb

Is there an inexpensive way to upgrade my windows to 64 bit?

System Manufacturer: MEDION System Series / Model: E7214 Motherboard: MEDION - E7214 Total Installed Memory: 3 GB Memory Type: DDR3 Modules Installed: Slot "A1_BANK0" has 2 GB installed
Slot "A1_BANK2" has 1 GB installed
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (32-bit)
NOTE: Windows 32-bit has a 4GB memory limitation

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

Because Windows 10 has been activated you can download the 64bit version using the Media Creation Tool for no cost. The downside is you need a complete clean reinstall and any programs would need to be reinstalled. If you have purchased programs you would need to have your license keys available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Show computer specs---

screenshot_396.jpg

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

As John stated, you can upgrade from the 32-bit to the 64-bit version of Windows 10 for free.  The only reason you would not be able to do this would be if your motherboard isn't 64-bit ready.  Your motherboard does support a 64-bit version.  Your post indicates that you wish to increase the amount of RAM for your laptop.  The limitation for the amount of RAM supported with your motherboard is limited to 8GB.  The "How to Geek" website has a good tutorial for this upgrade.

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by dc3, 23 April 2017 - 09:28 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

I know that this was a low-end machine, but I'm actually surprised that 64-bit hardware (and I can't find a version of this machine that isn't) shipped with a 32-bit version of Windows (and it would have been earlier than Windows 10 given the introduction was well before Windows 10 appeared on the scene).

You've been given good advice.  So long as you take a complete system image, and a separate backup of all your user data files (as this is what you'd copy those back from), and take a good inventory of the programs you have installed and will need to reinstall it is not difficult to upgrade to Win10 64-bit.

Unless they've changed things with the Media Creation Tool be certain that you select the 64-bit version.  The Media Creation Tool tries to determine whether it should download the 32-bit version versus 64-bit version and there's also a version you can burn to a bigger-than-4GB USB that includes both 32 and 64-bit.  However, I don't know whether it makes this determination based on hardware specs it finds or the current version of Windows it finds.  You'll definitely want to use the "Create installation media for a different machine" option so you can be certain to get the 64-bit version of Windows 10.

The HowToGeek article referenced by dc3 is excellent.  The only nit I'd have to pick with it, and it is a nit, is that if you took a full system image of your system with 32-bit Win10 running on it prior to upgrading to Win10 64-bit, and wanted to revert, you could just use that system image to recover from.  It would save a lot of work with having to reinstall programs, drivers, etc., from scratch.

Edited by britechguy, 23 April 2017 - 10:24 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

This renewing process there is a lot simpler, there is no need to download anything and also do not need to add more RAM, 3GB is quite enough to the 64-bit OS would normally work, at least on such pc like You have.
But I do not recommend you do this, this machine does not go somehow better, but rather worse, than it is now.
If You want 64-bit, buy new pc which is up to date.

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

As to RAM check this link for best help.

I always use it when upgrading my RAM on new computers.

http://www.crucial.com/

#8 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for all the advice

Truth is I really like my laptop

When I bought it it had Vista on it but since Windows 7 was about to be released it came with an upgrade voucher so I upgraded it

It had 2 x 1gb and having a spare 2gb I upgraded one slot hence 3gb

When the screen broke I put in a new matt screen

Also it has connections for a second hard drive so I bought an SSD as Boot C drive and move the old drive to the spare slot

Now it's running on Windows 10

Since I tend to run several programs at once my use is quite demanding and it struggles to keep up which is why I'd like to increase the memory

Otherwise this laptop is probably the best one I've owned

It's like having a vintage car you love and keep going with for as long as possible

You can see why I prefer to upgrade rather than buy a new machine

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Microsoft suggest that 2GB of RAM is sufficient, this may be true, but the computer will be very slow.  You would notice a big difference with 8GB (2 x 4GB) of RAM.  8GB of RAM is the maximum amount that the motherboard will support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

I've got both AMD A8 and A6 APUs running Win10 with 8GB RAM and they're more than adequately fast unless you need to do things like play multi-player games with 3D rendering in realtime.  I don't .

Any generation of the Intel i-series CPUs should be perfectly capable of running Win10 without issue with 8GB of RAM, as dc3 suggests.

medlab1's suggestion about using the Crucial System Scanner to determine both the type(s) of memory your computer can support and the maximum amount in each slot is spot-on, too.  I've relied on that utility for years now when I am trying to determine those two things for any given system.  It has yet to steer me wrong.

Edited by britechguy, 24 April 2017 - 11:40 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#11 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

I've just been chatting with crucial. They are very reasonable

I'm told that I can try out adding 2gb in place of the 1gb and if's not a satisfying difference I can get a refund in up to 45 days

I'm going to try that out and if its no good I'll get 64 bit win 10 without cost then upgrade to 8gb

Hopefully that would make it super fast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users