Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wkf

wkf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Like to connect two computers to one printer.  I have usb ports on both the modem and router and would like to know if this can be done.

Edited by wkf, 23 April 2017 - 08:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

You'll need to share a lot more information before any real guidance can be given.

What is the make/model of the printer?  Is it a wireless printer?

What are the operating system(s) running on the computers [and their makes/models wouldn't hurt, either].

It's quite possible to make two computers able to print from a single printer, even from a single wired printer if you use one of the two machines as the print server.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 wkf

wkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

The printer is a Hewlett Packard, wired, laser jet 1020. It is hooked to a Dell desktop Inspiron 560 Win 7 Home Pre.  The other one is a Dell all-in-one 5459 Win 10.

Modem is Hitron (Mediacom provider) with Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 Mod. R7000 both around a year old and router has two usb ports, router has one.

Edited by wkf, 23 April 2017 - 03:34 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,154 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

Were it my setup, I'd keep the printer connected to the Windows 7 machine and allow that machine to act as the print server.  [And lets pretend the machine is named Win7Desk.]

On the Windows 10 machine you should be able to add the printer as a network printer, using \\Win7Desk\{whatever the printer is identified as on that machine} as the choice.

You do, of course, have to keep the Windows 7 desktop up and running when you wish to print to it across the network.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

I just want to give you guys some heads up. I've had the same printer for over 10 years now. It is outdated in the sense that there are no Windows 10 drivers for it anywhere, including HP's website. However, about a year ago, when I tried to connect it to a Windows 10 PC, I found out that it works perfectly fine with the drivers for Windows 8.1 installed (the most current drivers for the printer from HP, and since it is no longer supported - the last drivers ever). This might not turn out to be a problem, but since the drivers weren't devised to be used on a Windows 10 computer, I would suggest in your project to put the 'bulk of the work' on the Windows 7 machine.:)

#6 wkf

wkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

Got the printer driver installed on the Win. 10 but does nothing when trying to print a test page. Test page will print ok on Win 7 machine.  Maybe should hook the printer up to the router or modem?

#7 wkf

wkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Got the printer driver installed on the Win. 10 but does nothing when trying to print a test page. Test page will print ok on Win 7 machine.  Maybe should hook the printer up to the router or modem?

#8 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:05 AM

If the computers are connected to a single network; you can directly use it for printing.

Follow this link

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/printing/how-print-over-network-3492245/

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,154 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

The last example in the article linked to by Hareen is what I'm referring to.

I have had very limited luck with direct connection to the router, but it can't hurt to try if you'd like.

When I had a wired printer and multiple computers on a network, whether connected wirelessly to the network or by ethernet, connecting the wired printer to one of them and then allowing it to be the print server has always worked and worked beautifully.  You do nave to do all the HomeGroup or WorkGroup setup and turn on sharing and network discovery, but that's not difficult.

Very often the printer will not turn up in the search, but if you fully specify its path on the machine to which it is not physically connected there's usually no trouble finding it on the network via the machine to which it is physically connected.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

I thought I read earlier Britechguy suggested connecting the printer to the Windows 7 computer and Share it.  And, Windows 10 computer should be able to pick it up and use it. 

Edited by RolandJS, 24 April 2017 - 10:51 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,154 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

I thought I read earlier Britechguy suggested connecting the printer to the Windows 7 computer and Share it.  And, Windows 10 computer should be able to pick it up and use it. 

You are correct on that point.   It's already known that the Windows 7 machine has the necessary drivers and works with this printer.

I'd set up the HomeGroup and WorkGroup (I've had some issues with HomeGroup that I don't with the old WorkGroup), printer sharing, network discovery, and then have the Windows 10 machine add the printer as a network printer.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

Britechguy, Windows 10 picks up the printer because Windows 7 Share-d it, correct?  Reason for asking:  thread starter was asking about it, so if I also ask about - both the thread starter and I learn from your experience.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,154 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

Yes, the printer has to be listed as a shared device on the network if it is hooked up to another machine and said machine is acting as the print server.  When that's the case as soon as the print is sent to the print server machine it's no longer accessible in a print queue on the originating machine.  It's been handed off in its entirety to the server box.

This is in contrast to a true wireless printer that exists as its own entity on the network, "shares itself," and where the individual machines that print to it do their own print queue management.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 Mod. R7000

Nobody addressed it, but your router will support sharing the printer by connecting it to one of the router's USB ports. You can find instructions for it on page 107 of the user manual for the router. If you cannot find your manual, then this should be it, I believe:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

I will note that this option does require you to have the printer's drivers installed on the computer still. So, if you are having issue with the Windows 10 computer with the drivers, then you likely will have the same issue with this method.

#15 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

I just want to give you guys some heads up. I've had the same printer for over 10 years now. It is outdated in the sense that there are no Windows 10 drivers for it anywhere, including HP's website. However, about a year ago, when I tried to connect it to a Windows 10 PC, I found out that it works perfectly fine with the drivers for Windows 8.1 installed (the most current drivers for the printer from HP, and since it is no longer supported - the last drivers ever). This might not turn out to be a problem, but since the drivers weren't devised to be used on a Windows 10 computer, I would suggest in your project to put the 'bulk of the work' on the Windows 7 machine. :)

There does appear to be Windows 10 drivers (both 32 bit and 64 bit) available for this printer on the HP website, unless I have the wrong printer. They appear to have been released Feb 9, 2016, so if you have not check in the last year or so, then you likely did not know about them.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-1020-printer-series/439423

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users