Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual Behaviour

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TimB48

TimB48

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

I have just acquired a new PC with W10 preinstalled, V 1607. It has a 125GB SSD and a 1TB sata HDD. In order to not waste space on the SSD I have attempted to move some of the user folders to the Sata drive using instructions found on the internet. I created a new user folder on this drive and then commenced the process of moving the content from the SSD. I did this by right clicking on the folder, going to the properties and selected the location tab and then followed the move option therein. The first folder I tried to move was "contacts". This has had 2 effects, firstly it has deleted the user folder on the SSD (lets call the user Fred) and also the new folder Fred on the Sata. Secondly the Fred "contacts" folder has reappeared within users on the SSD and all the other contents of the Fred user folder such as documents, pictures music etc are now within this "contacts" folder. There is no sign of the orginal user name Fred within the user folders.

I have tried going back to a restore point to correct the problem but restore failed. 

Anyone had this problem before and any suggestions for a fix.

I suspect this may be an ongoing problem for some people who buy new PC's with this configuration and are not aware of the implications of having an SSD plus Sata.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

TimB48:

Sorry to hear about your issues.  Did you try doing a System Restore in SAFE mode?  They don't always succeed there either, but often anti-virus software will interfere with System Restores, and so SAFE MODE is a better option.

Another option would be a factory reset, if your computer has a hidden factory restore partition.

And finally, there is the "Windows Reset option, with "Keep My Files" selected.

An important lesson here to be VERY CAREFUL what instructions you find on the web, and then follow.  Some are downright dangerous, as you discovered.  Personally, I would not be messing with your Windows User accounts.  That is generally a recipe for disaster!

Someone else here on the Forum might have other, better suggestions.  Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 TimB48

TimB48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:10 AM

Tried SAFE mode restore to no effect, did a reset "keep my files" again no effect in terms of restoring lost user. The advice re moving user file locations came from Microsoft Tech-Net so in theory should be OK. You are not trying to move the user account rather it is just changing to a new location for documents etc to be saved to, with the advent of PC's like this it is going to be more of a problem. A 125GB SSD does not have a lot of storage left after windows is installed together with other software which must be installed on the C: drive. Microsoft make provision in the OS to move the files but on this occasion it has failed for reasons as yet unknown. I will probably end up formatting and doing a fresh install but this is not the solution I am seeking, it should not be that difficult changing the location where files are saved.

I appreciate that I can manually select a location each time I save files or downloads but a more automated process would be better, just as it would be with the default settings for a single large drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users