Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem after upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 demolish

demolish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

[RESOLVED] ***I ended up having to do a clean install. Unfortunately I did lose some important files.*** 

ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATA. DON'T BE IGNORANT LIKE I WAS.

I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago and have not had any issues at all until I turned on my computer earlier today. It went to the date and time welcome screen and would not let me do anything at all. Every time I pressed enter like you normally would be able to, to get to the login field, it would move the screen up then immediately back down, same thing for when I clicked. 

If you don't understand what I mean just google "windows 10 stuck on time & date screen"
That was the error I was getting.

I tried a few restarts, different keyboard/mouse, and different ports. My keyboard/mouse was working, but it wouldn't let me past that screen.

So, a few hours later after trying to find fixes, I just decided to download the Windows 10 recovery tool on my USB. I tried everything, startup repair, command prompt, revert to Windows 7, clean install, reset windows, etc.. Everything I tried gave me an error. After trying all of the given options from the recovery drive, I booted back into Windows 10 and it gave me a completely black screen, no cursor, nothing at all... and now it continues to do this every time I restart my computer. 

I have no idea what to do now.. None of the recovery options are working for me.

If someone one could help me out, that would be great. To be clear, I can't boot into safe mode, I can't access anything besides the command prompt from the recovery drive and the other options, which all give me an error.

What are my options here?  

Edited by demolish, 23 April 2017 - 07:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:49 AM

It happens sometimes, if You upgrade from previous version to newer and do not do clean install instead of it.
Now You have no more any solution, is only one - use some booting media (even Linux live CD helps if don't have anything else) and save your files to some other place or on other partition. If done, clean this partition, repair if needed and reformat. If done, you can begin to do clean install.
Other solutions will not work, if You want to waste time, try.
In future make always clean install, if possible, but do not begin to upgrade previous version. There is many reasons, why it will not work probably correctly, if is already  installed some programs also.

#3 demolish

demolish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:00 AM

It happens sometimes, if You upgrade from previous version to newer and do not do clean install instead of it.
Now You have no more any solution, is only one - use some booting media (even Linux live CD helps if don't have anything else) and save your files to some other place or on other partition. If done, clean this partition, repair if needed and reformat. If done, you can begin to do clean install.
Other solutions will not work, if You want to waste time, try.
In future make always clean install, if possible, but do not begin to upgrade previous version. There is many reasons, why it will not work probably correctly, if is already  installed some programs also.

Okay

So just boot up any OS, then transfer my files and wipe the drive? Then I would do a fresh install of Windows 10 from USB.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

You can either live boot an alternative OS from external media or, if you have the cables needed and another machine, pull the hard drive and connect it to another machine as an external drive and copy stuff off that way.   I have had occasion to do both, and if you're not familiar with Linux it's sometimes easier to do the latter, but only if you have the cabling necessary to do this.

You can do the fresh install of Windows 10 from either bootable USB or DVD.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

For future reference a good OS to recover data is Puppy as it's only about 300MB. If you want a Windows like OS then boot Mint Cinnamon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users