Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Compatable BD optical Internal drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TGMcCallie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

I have a new Dell XPS 8920 running Windows 10.  It came with a CD/DVD Optical internal disc drive.

I want to replace it with a compatable BD Optical RW disc drive.

Would someone give me advise as to what Brand and model would be best for this system?

If you need any further information, let me know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

From the service manual for that model from the Dell website, it looks like it uses a slimline optical disc drive.  Slimline optical disc drives are typically used in laptops, so it is possible that this slimline Blu-ray burner might work:

I cannot say for sure.  You may need to contact Dell support to see if they can tell you of any compatible Bluray burners.  I will note that they DO NOT seem to offer a Bluray burner as a customizable option.
If you cannot get some clarification if that Bluray burner would work for your computer, you could also just go with an external Bluray burner that connects by USB 3.0.
Regardless of what option you end up going with, keep in mind that you likely will need third party software if you want to do playback of commercial Bluray DVDs or burn your own Bluray video discs.  It is possible that Windows built in burning support might be able to burn single layer Bluray data discs, but you still might need third party software for that as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users