Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BREAKING NEWS! The Samsung Galaxy S8 comes with a communist screen

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

If you ever wondered why I prefer Apple's iPhone over Samsung's Galaxy S8 smartphone, it is sh*t like this.
They say that they are going to roll out a software update that is going to provide you with the option of setting the colour-tones on your screen how you like them. Once again, in my view, Samsung fails to recognize the main point, the whole idea, of technology - to ease your life - Like Apple products do...
Damn, I don't even own either phones AND I AM PISSED! Just kidding.:lmao:
Edit: I forgot to put in the video. Well, This is it.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 22 April 2017 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

4RZyJMv_700wa_0.gif

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

If you ever wondered why I prefer Apple's iPhone over Samsung's Galaxy S8 smartphone, it is sh*t like this.
They say that they are going to roll out a software update that is going to provide you with the option of setting the colour-tones on your screen how you like them. Once again, in my view, Samsung fails to recognize the main point, the whole idea, of technology - to ease your life - Like Apple products do...
Damn, I don't even own either phones AND I AM PISSED! Just kidding. :lmao:
Edit: I forgot to put in the video. Well, This is it. :)

Well, someone has to love the Apple Borg.  It seems that very many someones do.

I'd rather chew off my fingers than pay what Apple wants for products (and even I'll admit that they're good products) where you will use them as Apple sees fit.  Customization R' Not Them.  That distinctly does not make my life easier when I dislike the defaults, which I often do.

There's no requirement that one set the color temperature, but at least you have the option on the S8.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong. I consider the whole 'price' issue as a whole other deal (and in the case of Apple, oftentimes a deal-breaker). This is why I haven't bought any Apple products ever so far. While I think their line-up is great, well, so are their pricetags too. I've actually written in another topic that this Black Friday I might consider buying the iPhone 5S 16GB off-contract & unlocked in silver if I find it for under ~200$. I swear, I've been stalking this phone for 3 years now, lol.:lmao:

All in all, this is how I view these 2 companies, Apple & Samsung, in my mind right now:

I wouldn't consider buying any Samsung product unless they come up with some new groundbreaking technology as they oftentimes skip on premium quality despite having pretty steep prices. It's kinda like they don't know in which field they are playing. Is it the quality game, is it the cheap price tags game. Maybe for them it's a crossover, I don't know.

Whereas, with Apple, they have already 'sold me' in terms of quality and perceived ease of use and now all they have to do is win me over at the price category. Which, as I said, has never happened before. Maybe this next Black Friday. And if they don't lower their prices to what I deem reasonable, just substitute 'you' with 'Apple'...
And-if-you-do-not-listen-Then-to-hell-wi

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:07 PM

Samsung plays the entire field of devices and, in my opinion, fills each niche on that field quite well.  Apple's vaunted quality isn't any better as far as I've observed and I have a lot of friends and family members who've had (and have) iPhones over the years.  Apple has their fan base trained very well to fawn over each and every new release and willing to pay exorbitantly to be "first in line" to get the latest toy.   I'm perfectly happy with the Galaxy S7 that I've got and will have for some years yet.

I've quite liked the LG devices I've had (actually, have, but not as phones anymore - LG Optimus V and LG Tribute) and they've worn like iron.

Many people are downright abusive to their mobile phones and nothing will manage to get through that kind of abuse unscathed.  Given how much any of the mid to high end devices cost I am endlessly shocked at how cavalierly they get treated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Yes, I agree with everything. I too really like LG's products, especially their TVs & their phones. As for Apple's quality, I just can't shake the memory of going abroad for the first time, back in 2010, and in London, at a store, I saw for the first time ever a touchscreen device. It was the iPad and also the iPod. I don't quite recall which variations or generations they were. As I am not really all that into tech, I wasn't, you know, blown away by the devices per se, but I do remember being really amazed at how 'not rough' and 'seemless' they were. I was used to the clackity-clickity-clackity technology up until this point, lol, so I found it pretty neat. These days, from what I browse mainly online, I am pleased to see that Apple's products hold their turf rather well. You can watch a meaningful number of videos on YouTube showing the iPhone 7, despite having a lower degree of protection on paper, holding up and sometimes outliving the new Samsung Galaxy S8 on water tests - impressive. In terms of prices, I am definetely a 'waiter'. I really like waiting out valuable things to get depreciated and then snaching them up if I want to. The most I have ever paid for a phone was ~$200 for the Sony Ericsson K700 one year after it came out on the market. If I manage to get the iPhone 5S for at most $250, it'd become the most expensive phone I've had. Maybe in theory, if I had limitless resources at my disposal, I would get the 128GB off-contract unlocked silver iPhone SE, but then again what would be the point of that, since in this imaginary situation one would probably have a secretary and wouldn't have the need for a phone at all. I don't know, I never understood those people with the $2000 Vertu phones. I guess they don't really purchase a phone, but rather an exlusivity membership, but I think it's just... dumb.:lmao:

#8 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:02 AM

I was on a cruise, and one night, during the entertainment show, several people in the audience were holding up their phones and watching the show through them, while the actual show was right in front of them. I asked one person if he was recording but he said no. What is that all about?

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

I don't know.:lmao: I feel like I am the last person on Earth who doesn't use the camera on their phone. I've even disabled it on Android, so it doesn't have any permissions to open, ever. I've looked to see whether or not there are smartphones without cameras built-in, but it turns out that there has never been one commercially made in existence, apart from a couple of one-offs. BTW, if anyone is wondering, this is the reason why I consider the 128GB iPhone SE as Apple's flagship phone. Because, unlike the iPhone 7, it doesn't have a camera bump, wiggling the phone when put on a table. I do not want a feature which I have 0 use of, such as the camera in this case, to uglify my phone and make my whole experience worse, albeit lightly.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 23 April 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

holding up their phones and watching the show through them, while the actual show was right in front of them.

Leunig-cartoon.jpg

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Just_One_Question wrote, in part (and partially in jest):  "I do not want a feature which have 0 use of, such as the camera in this case . . ."

It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others.
         ~ John Andrew Holmes

This is all the more true when it comes to marketing of any commercial product and where one's personal preferences are at odds with the majority of the target demographic(s).

BTW, while I very seldom use the camera on my phone there have been those rare occasions where I am very glad that I've had the option.  As a general rule I'm happy that smartphones have cameras because of the proof of misconduct they're used to document that was easily denied in the past.

I'll never understand, whether it be via smartphone camera or conventional one, those people who spend close to 100% of their time documenting where they are at the moment without every actually experiencing it in any meaningful sense.  This is all the more true when they're on vacation in some utterly glorious location and all they're doing is snapping pictures using said location as a backdrop rather than as something to be reveled in and enjoyed in its own right.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

Yes, Brian. Just to be clear, I wasn't complaining or anything. I view the iPhone SE as the better phone compared to iPhone 7, mainly due to this design-flaw (atleast to me the camera bump is such), but I am not going to go around town with a scythe, angrily screaming at the top of my lungs that anyone who doesn't think like me is automatically my foe, lol.:lmao:

As for the 2nd part of your comment, dude, I think the whole social media field, almost every aspect of it, has gone nuts. I was just looking at Twitter's stock as compared to Snapchat's. Even at growth-adjusted basis, Twitter has times more both the revenue and the active user-base of Snapchat, yet its market cap is more than twice lower than that of Snapchat. Both companies have never been profitable. Both companies are worth over 10 billion USD. Hell, Snap Inc. is worth over 20B. and at one point over 30. Both companies' founders are billionaires. I hate to sound crazy, but I think tech companies' valuations are on the track for another bubble. It seems to me not only the user base, as you pointed out, but also pretty much everyone involved is riding on high 'innovation', 'never-before seen', 'don't miss out' spirits. But anyways, as I said earlier, that doesn't really concern me. I am more of a story-teller when it comes to sharing my experiences, instead of photo-taker.:)

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

JOQ,

You'll get no argument from me with regard to the valuation of a great many tech and social media companies.  Of course, this is nothing new.  Think about what AOL was once worth, and its worth was every bit as inflated, if not more so, than those you name.

There is an awful lot of market insanity in general, and in particular when it comes to technology companies.  People seem far more willing to invest vast amounts of money in things about which they have no understanding if the "Oooooooh . . . Shiny!" factor is high enough.  The fact that this investment philosophy has been shown to be suspect, and that's putting it diplomatically, at multiple junctures in history confirms the old adage, "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

"Oh, you mean the Snapchat ride?":lmao:
I hope atleast in the worst case scenario this would happen (taken from the Wikipedia page on the dot-com bubble):

Legacy
On the long-term legacy of the bubble, venture capitalist Fred Wilson, who funded dot-com companies, said about the dot-com bubble:
"A friend of mine has a great line. He says 'Nothing important has ever been built without irrational exuberance'. Meaning that you need some of this mania to cause investors to open up their pocketbooks and finance the building of the railroads or the automobile or aerospace industry or whatever. And in this case, much of the capital invested was lost, but also much of it was invested in a very high throughput backbone for the Internet, and lots of software that works, and databases and server structure. All that stuff has allowed what we have today, which has changed all our lives... that's what all this speculative mania built".

But until then, It's a wazi, it's a woozi, it's phew phew phew... fairy dust...
d458fa2e5a427a9714ce3159ea289fde26296b3a
:)

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Depending on how you want to look at it one could equally validly declare, "Nothing important was has ever been built based strictly upon irrational exuberance."

The fact is that there have been a lot of incidents of irrational exuberance where some small part of that fit of mania resulted in something important and useful.  But it is a small part.  The whole bubble phenomenon involves the bubble bursting, and the bubble itself is built from irrational exuberance. 

When the word "irrational" enters the picture it's very seldom that anything good comes of it (when we're talking the advancement of humankind).

When it comes to falling in love, well, Fran Leibowitz hit the nail on the head:  "Romantic love is mental illness.  But it's a pleasurable one. It's a drug.  It distorts reality, and that's the point of it. It would be impossible to fall in love with someone you really saw."   Note that "falling in love" and loving someone are not the same thing, though the former may lead to the latter.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users