Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspecting PS issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PeaB4YouGo

PeaB4YouGo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L rev 1  Mobo,      8G (2x4G DIMM),  Win10 (up from 7),  700w ePower EP700xp power supply.  nVidia GTX-750 graphics using DVI to monitor.

My grandson was playing "America's Army" at near max settings on GTX-750.  In the middle of the game, the computer shut down, hard!!  Just blanked.  

Tried to power up using on/off button.  Button flashes on, then 3 seconds later goes out.  There is no response via monitor.  Hit the button again and it does the same thing.  Pulled plug, waited, plugged in and tried again.  No joy.  

Pulled cover and put on thinking cap.  Hit power button, fans at processor cooler and fan on GPU all start, then stop when LED goes out.  Unit sits for 10 seconds, LED lights up, and fans spin.  3 seconds later, it all shuts down.  Will cycle like this indefinitely.  CMOS?  Bought new CR2032 and replaced.  Same results.  

Just because I was brainstorming, I swapped memory modules, I swapped out the DVI video out for a VGA cable, I removed GTX750 and tried onboard vid, removed all USB connections except keyboard...    I was tempted to unplug one of the 4 fans (2 case fans and 2 on liquid cooler radiator for CPU), but didn't.  

Next step is trying another power supply.  A friend will loan me a 600w unit later today.  None of my spares can power SATA.

Am I on the right track?  Would you troubleshoot differently?  Anything I didn't cover?

Edited by PeaB4YouGo, 22 April 2017 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:18 PM

None of my spares can power SATA.

you don't need SATA devices powered to test it, all you need to do is power the motherboard,

you should get a messege on the screen something like "no boot device found" because the hard drive is not powered, but that will at least tell you if the power supply is good or not,

you don't even need to remove the old power supply to test, just plug the spare into the MB

#3 PeaB4YouGo

PeaB4YouGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Well, t turns out that it's not a power supply issue.    Same response from the replacement PS.  

I guess it's off to check the BIOS.  I'm just wondering what one does to check that.  How easy are these to take off the mobo?  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

There's no way to "check" the BIOS...but you can replace the CMOS battery for less than $5.  The CMOS battery retains the BIOS/CMOS settings.

https://www.google.com/#q=replace+CMOS+battery

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

if you know the power supply is good for SURE, then unplug EVERYTHING (drives) from the MB except fans, power from the PS and power on button wires....fire it up....and describe all activity at that point, what happens....if anything

Edited by mikey11, 23 April 2017 - 06:01 PM.

#6 PeaB4YouGo

PeaB4YouGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Check the original post.....disconnected everything that required power, short of CPU fans.  Same prob.  Also mentioned the (CR2032) battery.  No difference.

So, all things considered, I'm looking at a new mobo (Gigabyte P55-UD3L).  $75-100 on ebay.  

So, on another note, what kind of response can I expect from microsoft when I switch out hardware?   Think there'll be a hassle?

Edited by PeaB4YouGo, 23 April 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

So, on another note, what kind of response can I expect from microsoft when I switch out hardware?   Think there'll be a hassle?

if its the exact same board there shouldn't be any problem, i have done it many times,

after you fire it up check to see if windows is still activated

update your BIOS after you install it

Edited by mikey11, 24 April 2017 - 07:37 AM.

#8 PeaB4YouGo

PeaB4YouGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

Well, after a long wait for another mobo to arrive from Korea, I spent a bit of time reassembling the system and getting it set up and....    same issue.  

I'm thinking about going back to the power supply and checking it out again, but I don't know what it'll accomplish.  It did the same thing when I tried a different PS back in April.  

This has officially gone right over my head. I think I'm going to have to find a current pro and get ready to have my wallet raped.  

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

What about the hard drive?

Do you have a spare HDD?

The GPU?

Its obvious something went and since you replaced the motherboard and nothing happened it may lay somewhere else on your issue.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

When did these symptoms begin?  Has the system ever run for a protracted period  without such?

Louis

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

did you try removing your video card?

try using the video port on your motherboard (if there is one)

#12 PeaB4YouGo

PeaB4YouGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:41 AM

After consulting with a local pro, I went and bought another CPU ($65).  This comes after determining that the issue has nothing to do with the graphics card (disconnected, as mentioned in OP), or the HDD (SATA, and the sys never gets to the point where it would look for a drive).  Memory issues are ruled out when I swapped them out.  All of this was covered in OP.

As soon as the CPU comes in and I get it installed, I'll let you know the results.

If this doesn't work, nearly the only thing I haven't replaced or eliminated will be the case, and then, I might as well build a new system with the parts I've replaced.   LOLOL

Edited by PeaB4YouGo, 19 June 2017 - 06:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users