Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video output, no usb output, but mobo has power

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kevaughn2

kevaughn2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hi all,

I'm stumped on this one. My friend and I built a PC awhile ago, and it worked upon building it. Then a few weeks later, it stopped working.

The PC will turn on. All lights and fans are working. However, there is no video output, and no usb power.

I tried the video card in a separate PC, and it works fine.
I removed the RAM and inserted known working RAM, and nothing changed.
I tried putting the video card in a new slot, and nothing changed.

I removed the battery for 2 minutes, and nothing changed.

Neither the HDMI nor the VGA component of the graphics card work in the broken PC.

So the video card, RAM, battery, and power supply all seem to be working fine. Yet no output shows on the screen, and the keyboard / mouse do not get power in any of the USB slots.

I'm really stumped. My only other thought is that the CPU or the Mobo are broken, but how can that be if everything is getting power?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2017 - 05:19 PM.
Moved from Building/Upgrading to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

remove the video card completely and try the MB VGA output?

start it up in safe mode?

#3 kevaughn2

kevaughn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

remove the video card completely and try the MB VGA output?

start it up in safe mode?

Hello,

There is no VGA output on the MB. :(

Not sure how to start in Safe Mode without a display.

#4 kevaughn2

kevaughn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hello guys,

Anyone have any other ideas?

I am strongly suspecting the CPU is at fault, but I only think that because components on the MB are getting power.

Any thoughts?

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

New builds should be assembled outside the case first.  However, it wouldn't hurt to go back to that.  Something is shorting the voltage(s) to the video card not allowing it to boot.  The video card could have failed or the MOBO "grew" enough to find a short on a standoff.  The video card has to start first, unload its BIOS to the screen and tell the CPU to start its BIOS. Some video cards require a separate power connection besides the plug in slot. 

#6 kevaughn2

kevaughn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

New builds should be assembled outside the case first.  However, it wouldn't hurt to go back to that.  Something is shorting the voltage(s) to the video card not allowing it to boot.  The video card could have failed or the MOBO "grew" enough to find a short on a standoff.  The video card has to start first, unload its BIOS to the screen and tell the CPU to start its BIOS. Some video cards require a separate power connection besides the plug in slot. 

OK, thanks for the input. I should mention that the computer worked for about 6 weeks before dying. When it was operational, there were no real issues although my friend did mention that the computer failed to boot-up a few times (power button did nothing). I should also mention that the video card does not require any separate connections, and it worked flawlessly in a different motherboard.

During my attempts to fix the machine, the computer did the same thing: All lights came on and all fans spun (including the video card fan). This makes me think it is not a short in the motherboard, else, why else would all the fans spin (including the video card fan) and all the lights come on?

If I were to test the motherboard by removing the case, would I simply remove the motherboard and all components from the case and fire it up? I am not opposed to trying that, but is there any reason to not suspect the CPU itself?

Thanks for your help.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

You may well be right about the CPU. However they range from moderately to very expensive components and it is much cheaper to try Mjd's suggestion first. All it will cost you is some time. I would certainly try this to eliminate lesser problems rather than just fit a new CPU. Of course if you have a compatible CPU spare it would be quicker to try that but if, as Mjd suggests, you have perhaps a mounting pillar short you risk damaging that CPU as well.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users