Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What has happened to to Screen saver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hugeB

hugeB

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

Screen Saver has disappeared after the Creators Update installation.

Has it been deleted?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

I can't find it at the moment.  That being said, it's still part of the registry since the screen saver I've been using for a long time is still active, I just can't find anything that would allow me to change it.

It doesn't appear to be accessible via Winaero Tweaker, either.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Choosing a Screen Saver in Windows 10

Posted Image

#4 hugeB

hugeB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:42 PM

This link shows where the screen saver is.

Edited by hugeB, 21 April 2017 - 10:43 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

Thanks much.   Has this setting been hiding under the Lock Screen settings for a while now?   I ask because I've generally used the old Control Panel method to get to the screen saver settings and those are definitely gone (or else I'm very, very tired).

Edited by britechguy, 21 April 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 hugeB

hugeB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

Thanks much.   Has this setting been hiding under the Lock Screen settings for a while now?   I ask because I've generally used the old Control Panel method to get to the screen saver settings and those are definitely gone (or else I'm very, very tired).

I also used the old method to find the screen saver and found it suddenly disappeared.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

As i remember correctly it was always under the Lock Screen section.

As i remember correctly it was always under the Lock Screen section.

Posted Image

#8 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:30 AM

Screen Saver has disappeared after the Creators Update installation.

Has it been deleted?

Everything is there and works.

It is on the Settings Panel => Personalization => Lock Screen => go to last line "Screen saver settings"

Or

Win Key + R => rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1  OK or Enter

or

Make Desktop Icon
Name: Screen Saver Settings
Location: rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1
icon: %windir%\System32\PhotoScreensaver.scr

or

Command Promt

Start rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1

or

Make .bat or .cmd file

@echo off
Start rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1
Close %windir%\system32\cmd.exe
Exit

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

This is interesting.  Since I don't have any need for a screen saver I never even thought about it since I started using LDC monitors.  But here is what I get when I go to the screen server settings.

screen%20saver_zpsarjfvuis.png

Edited by dc3, 22 April 2017 - 09:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

The "disappearance" is of the Personalization settings in Control Panel, which is how many of us tweaked any number of things, including Screen Saver, even after Windows 10 came on the scene.

Since Microsoft has always been known for giving about 10 ways to do the same thing I'm actually surprised that Personalization has been removed from Control Panel with Creators Update.

My laptop is on Creators while another laptop (Win10 Home 64-bit) and desktop (Win10 Pro 32-bit) are still on Anniversary so I was able to verify that Personalization was still there up through Anniversary Update.  This was my preferred method for changing a screen saver and even for dealing with Themes in general.  It's a shame it's gone, as a number of the Advanced Display Options you used to be able to drill down to are no longer able to be changed either via Control Panel or Settings, at least that I can find.  I've resorted to Winaero Tweaker so that I can change the Icon font, as I've always found serifed fonts much easier to read than Segoe UI.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

Add Classic Personalization Desktop Menu In Windows 10 and Windows 8/8.1

Posted Image

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

Freebooter,

Thanks much.

I believe, however, that Microsoft has changed precisely what we're complaining about being missing as far as the classic Display settings from Control Panel.  I have run your Appearance.bat file and Explorer has restarted.  If you right click on the desktop, choose Appearance -> Classic Display Options what opens is the new Display Pane of System Settings which, of course, looks nothing like the old Classic Display Options and does not include many of the controls that had been available there.

It looks like Creators Update has a lot of "under the hood" changes that only become obvious to the end user when they attempt to do something they've always done and what they've always done is no longer there.  

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users