Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer desktop won't load, keeps flashing. Computer won't reset -- need help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cvasale

cvasale

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

My computer shut down while I was in the middle of an overwatch game.  Upon booting it back up, it lets me log into my profile however it then constantly flashes like it's refreshing.  I can see the toolbar but no icons are on it and I can't open the start menu -- I can access the task manager through control+alt+delete.  Occasionally the desktop icons will flash for a brief moment and then disappear again.  

The task manager shows Service Host: UtcSvc as taking 25% of CPU and 13k MB of RAM.  Under this heading is "connected user experiences and telemetry".  I stopped the service and disabled it on startup -- now Antimalware Service Executable is taking 10% of CPU and 10MB RAM -- with Windows defender service under it.  When I try to disable the windows defender service it says access is denied.

I removed all connections except the keyboard and still see the issue.  I attempted the windows startup repair and nothing changed.  I ran a chkdsk on bootup and nothing changed.  I can get into safe mode but I'm not sure what else I can do.  I attempted to reset the PC and it gave an error saying it couldn't be done.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.  It's a decently outfitted gaming rig, let me know what specs you need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista

Louis

#3 cvasale

cvasale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hi Hamluis --

Thanks for the instructions - I've attached the information.  The perfmon errored out with the below response.

An error occurred while attempting to generate the report.  The system cannot find the path specified.

-Chase

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Reinstall your OS.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 cvasale

cvasale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

I'm not sure how I can -- the OS I have is a windows 7 from many many years ago that was on the hard drive when I bought it.  I upgraded it to windows 10 when they had their promotion.  Is there any way to do this without buying a full new copy of windows 10?  I don't have a CD drive on this computer but may have an external one somewhere.

Also if I can get to and past the login screen and can book into safe mode -- there has to be something I can do to fix it right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users