Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x74 (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) after restoring hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hello all,

A couple of days ago, my hard drive had failed, and after I bought a new one, I tried to restore my computer from  a backup that I made. While everything made it onto my hard drive-- programs, documents, etc. my only problem now is that Windows won't start. (It will blue screen before the animation shows up) I looked up the error code and I found out that the 0x74 error usually means corrupted registry, and after trying to run Startup Repair (which didn't run) it did say that the registry (specifically SYSTEM) was corrupt. I then tried to copy SYSTEM from the RegBack folder (another suggestion I found) and Windows still didn't start and just went right to startup repair. That was the last thing I tried.

I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Windows right now... Is there a way to repair the registry or to at least load a clean/untouched version of it? 

Thanks in advance,

yosefu_kun_98

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2017 - 04:29 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Crashes/BSODs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CMFordham

CMFordham

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

You are unable to even bring up the BIOS boot menu?  No way to do a full system restore or start up in Safe Mode?  

If it won't even let you boot up properly from a BIOS standpoint, sounds like you may have to do a full clean install of Windows again.  

#3 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

I'm able to get to the BIOS boot menu, but I can't get much further than that. My computer will say "Starting Windows" for about two or three seconds, then it will immediately go to startup repair.

#4 CMFordham

CMFordham

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:24 PM

I don't have any new information to give, but here's a link to the most thorough site I could find on the issue.  Hope it gives you something to work with.  If not, you'll get a reply within the next day or so from someone that knows a lot more and will walk you through the steps.  

I'd advise reading the couple of Sticky's that are posted here in the forums.  Will streamline the responses on your issue if you can't resolve it, and make your solution arrive a lot faster.  

https://www.xtremerain.com/fix-bad-system-config-info/

#5 lgordon225

lgordon225

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

You can try these steps below

Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt. Then, Run the following commands.

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

I found some methods at this guide, you should try #method1 or 5: https://windowsfreeapps.com/bad-system-config-info-error-in-windows-10-8-7-fix/

Edited by lgordon225, 22 April 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#6 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:54 AM

While I have tried most of the solutions in the links provided, from all of the commands to restoring the RegBack folder, I'm now facing a bigger problem-- Windows still won't start, but now it's giving me a c000021a (Fatal system error) error - "Verification of a KnownDLL failed. System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000012f (0x9a229b68 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

The last thing I tried was running System File Checker, but that didn't work either.

#7 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

Bump.

I've tried restoring my computer again with the system image that I created, but I'm still getting the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error.

Is there anything else (at all) I can do to fix this problem?

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Can you stick a USB drive into the computer and copy/paste the files using the Recovery Environment Command Prompt in C:\Windows\Minidump? Let me know if you need instructions. Then on another computer, zip them up and attach them here.

Thanks.

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 02 May 2017 - 04:54 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Not to say that I didn't try, but I checked the Minidump folder (and tried copying it to a flash drive) and I got the error message "The system cannot find the file specified." I then looked in the folder (dir command) and there was nothing in there. :(

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,991 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Any file called MEMORY.DMP in the Windows directory by any chance?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#11 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:03 AM

Much to my disappointment, in addition to there being nothing in the Minidump folder, there was no MEMORY.DMP in the Windows folder either. :(

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,991 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

I don't think there's much we can do in this case. Do you have backups of your personal files, or are they all nested in that system image? Will you please run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes? Here's a good guide if you need help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users