Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has my Twitter been hacked? Could they access anything else if so?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhilLatterly

PhilLatterly

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

I started the original topic here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/644856/someone-tried-to-access-my-twitter-account-need-to-be-worry-about-other-hacks/ and have been advised to move it here.

I got an email saying that someone in a different geographical location tried to access my Twitter account. I clicked on the link to reset the password and did so.

The email was from verify@twitter.com so I think it was legit.

However, do I need to worry about my internet history and other sites I use being hacked, like banking, shopping, etc? 

I suppose what I am asking is, is there a way of telling whether this is an isolated attempt at Twitter, or has my whole system been hacked?

I use and run periodically SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, maybe once every month or two.

I have SpybotSearchAndDestroy, AVG antivirus and ZoneAlarm as general protection.

I have checked on Your Twitter Data to see who has been accessing the account. What I have found is this:

1. A lot of different IP addresses accessing the account, including at times when I wouldn't have been online, like the early hours of the morrning. These IP addresses all belong to my ISP (or its subsidiaries).

2. There is an access by an IP registered to Virgin Media. That is not my ISP. But the location the IP lookups give for it is literally about a mile away in my city.

There are no obvious signs of a hack like Tweets or direct messages I don't recognise.

I have changed password and added a verification code facility to it so that whenever anyone tries to log-in I will be texted a code. 

If you CAN help, please do, I am desperate with worry. I am a natural worrier anyway and I use the computer for pretty-much everything so worried about the consequences of any hack.

Edited by PhilLatterly, 21 April 2017 - 02:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Delete TwitLonger and reset your password on Twitter again. Then, you can be 99% sure you are not hacked.:)

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

Edit: Delete not only TwitLonger, but also the other Twitter-related apps that you use as they are a potentially weaker point of breach.:)

#4 PhilLatterly

PhilLatterly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:55 AM

You know, I never thought that they may provide an access route in. I'll revoke their access.

Is there anything else I need to do?

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

Not really. You are already practising pretty safe computing.:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users