Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How are these temperatures?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 giantatx

giantatx

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hi, do these temperatures and speeds look OK?  Thx.

345ei3q.jpg

6s8mk0.jpg

Edited by Al1000, 21 April 2017 - 04:31 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 28,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

I don't see anything to be concerned about.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

07/09/17 I have had a free account with Photobucket for over a decade which I've used to host images in my canned speeches.  A little over two weeks ago Photobucket changed the their Term of Service.  This resulted in those with a free account being required to upgrade to their most expensive account ($399. per year) in order to be able to post third party images hosted at their website.  All of my images have been restricted and or deleted.  I apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

I dunno the CPU temps seem high though I know the sensors for some Ryzen CPU's are off (and the R7 1700X is known to give off a false reading)

But its tough to tell if its a sensor issue or a cooler issue, so better see about that by asking what is your cooler giantatx?

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 April 2017 - 11:03 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#4 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:18 AM

i don't see any reason to worry about...

a better thermal paste may help...

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 28,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

Perhaps the following will help you understand why I stated that I don't see any reason to be concerned.  The article that the quote was taken from is can be found at the AMD website where they address why the Ryzen 7 1700x "appears" to be running hotter than normal.

"Temperature Reporting

The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen™ processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy.

Specifically, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X and 1800X carry a +20°C offset between the tCTL° (reported) temperature and the actual Tj° temperature. In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen™ 1700X and 1800X can simply subtract 20°C to determine the true junction temperature of their processor. No arithmetic is required for the Ryzen 7 1700. Long term, we expect temperature monitoring software to better understand our tCTL offsets to report the junction temperature automatically."

I hope this clears up the "overheating" issue. :thumbup2: 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

07/09/17 I have had a free account with Photobucket for over a decade which I've used to host images in my canned speeches.  A little over two weeks ago Photobucket changed the their Term of Service.  This resulted in those with a free account being required to upgrade to their most expensive account ($399. per year) in order to be able to post third party images hosted at their website.  All of my images have been restricted and or deleted.  I apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused.

#6 giantatx

giantatx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

Thanks. :thumbup2:

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

I may be wrong but I got the impression that the only software that gives accurate figures at present is AMD's own utility - https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

That might have changed, but it was the case when the first batch of reviews came out.  None of your screenshots show the processor as being particularly heavily loaded. During a high load situation (e.g encoding a video using Handbrake) you would see if your cooling is up to the job.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 3,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Just curious if anyone has found anything official as far as a spec sheet for these processors that even specifies Tmax or Tcritical for them?  I haven't had any success.

That being said, the more and more "packed" processors become the higher the typical operating temperatures that should be expected.  My now ancient AMD A8 has a Tmax of 90°C and has never come near to that.  I would have to imagine that the Ryzen series would be at least that, if not higher.

A 60-ish°C maximum temperature, which is what the original screen shots show, is absolutely no cause for concern if the trend that's been going on for quite a while now as far as increasing Tmax temperatures is any indication (which is all we have to go on in the absence of hard data from AMD).

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy      Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level changes too often for inclusion in signature)

-> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

Dating is a social engagement with the threat of sex at its conclusion. 
    ~ P.J. O'Rourke, Modern Manners (1984)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users