Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD going bad. Best way to get info on new drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

One of my hdd is going bad.  It is my doc, pictures and other things.  No OS.  Should I use a cloning software?  Should I just copy and paste?  What does everyone use to get this kind of info and not an OS from hdd to hdd?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

If affordable, if possible, clone that problem HD onto any reliable external HD.  Make the cloning a one-pass sector-by-sector process.  Once that 2nd clone HD is safely put away, you can get any number of free or pay-for data recovery utilities (best to be booting usb or dvd for recovering) for that problematic HD.

And, I take it you have no current, recent, backups?

Edited by RolandJS, 21 April 2017 - 08:28 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald [sevenforums]

#3 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

I have backups but not recent enough for my liking. Is Copy and paste is not an option?  Click on F drive and copy and paste to the drive I have attached to a usb 3 dock with the new hdd inserted in it is not a viable option? 

Edited by ingeborgdot, 21 April 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 3,510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

Much of how you proceed can depend on exactly how the hard drive is "going bad."  And, to my mind, some of it is also dependent on whether this drive is being repeatedly spun up, as most internal drives are, if there's an indication of impending mechanical failure.  If the latter it's really critical to disconnect it so that it doesn't keep "getting worked" until you can get disc cloning software as your probability of mechanical failure increases with time and use.

If by "going bad" you mean it's developing a number of bad sectors but seems OK otherwise then I'd have little hesitation about a copy/paste from the drive for user data files.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy      Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level changes too often for inclusion in signature)

-> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

Dating is a social engagement with the threat of sex at its conclusion. 
    ~ P.J. O'Rourke, Modern Manners (1984)

#5 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Yes, it has bad sectors.  Crystal disk info says so, and it has been having some silly issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users