Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited internet bandwidth on laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john_blue

john_blue

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

Hi,

I have a laptop and a mobile device. With a 10Mbps internet, i am only getting 2M using speedtest. I tried with another 50Mbps internet, i am also getting 2Mbps at most on my laptop. However, i am able to get full speed on my mobile. One thing i notice after a fresh install, after i connect to the network, the hosts file in system32 went missing. Anyone can help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

If your laptop is an older model, it could have an old type of modem, which cannot reach certain speeds above the 2Mbps that you've stated.

#3 john_blue

john_blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:40 AM

i was able to get the full speed before something must have limited it. the wifi card is intel ac 7260. so it should not be a problem?

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

Yes, if you were able to get full speed before on the same laptop, that means that the problem is not hardware, but software. Can you reset your Internet settings and set up your connection again on your laptop? This usually fixes such problems.

#5 john_blue

john_blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

i did try that too. it is still persistent. i also reset winsock, flush dns, reset ipv4 and ipv6.

#6 john_blue

john_blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

one thing however, i did get a lot of svchost in tcp and udp like 20 to 30 of them per port with some incremental port numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users