Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cassini has taken another spectacular image of its home planet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 9,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:48 AM

Article by Eric Berger

As it continues to make some of its final flybys of the Saturn system, the Cassini spacecraft hasn't entirely forgone looking back toward its home planet, Earth. And last week the spacecraft's camera snapped a shot of Earth and the Moon (visible in a close-cropped view) from a distance of 1.4 billion km away.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/cassini-has-taken-another-spectacular-image-of-its-home-planet/

PIA21445_fig1-760x380.jpg

Such a small dot with many big problems.

Edited by NickAu, 21 April 2017 - 05:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

The only known place in the World so far, where its inhabitants have managed to cultivate love...

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

The REALLY spectacular stuff is coming soon, when it transfers to an orbit only 2000km above Saturn's surface. I don't think we've ever had a probe active (we might have had some go that close to make an engine burn but never with cameras rolling) quite that close to a gas giant before. Cassini's results so far have been extraordinary but the best is yet to come, especially the last pictures it will take as it plunges into Saturn.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Cassini has been a spectacularly successful mission for NASA.

However in my opinion the two Voyager missions launched in 1977 are their most successful missions. Built with early '70s technology and both now heading into deep space and, the last I heard, both still working.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away for a couple of weeks from Sunday 24 September with variable internet connectivity. PMs may not be answered as promptly as usual.

#5 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

What an amazing photo! Right through a gap in Saturn's rings. Wow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users