Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 still trying to download onto my PC - April 2017

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:14 AM

I currently run Windows 7 Home Premium on my PC. I did opt for the Win.10 free download,but after reading about it,idecided not to have it.

I used to regularly download Windows security updates & found that every time i did that,Win.10 would try to download. I managed to stop the download, & after reading about it,also deleted the Windows download code (?) from my PC - that should have been the end of it.

This morning,after not having any Windows security update notifications for many months,i received a notification for 15 'security updates' for Windows office 2007. As that's what i use,i selected them & downloaded them - but it wasn't any Office 2007 download ,it was ''Windows 10 is downloading''.

How can this happen ?. Is it an information error & the Office downloads are actually being downloaded ?. I didn't take the chance & stopped the download.  This has happened every time i've tried to download 'up-dates' for the past 12 months or so.

Are Microsoft still trying to download Win.10 onto our PC's by stealth ?. If that's the case,surely it must be illegal !.  Have any others experienced the same thing ?.  Can any attempt by Microsoft to download Win.10 be stopped completely ?.

Edited by Saska01, 21 April 2017 - 05:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

This is a just a guess but probably somehow you have installed one of the MS updates from the 'free update' period and it has triggered itself.

However this has happened there is simple, effective and free solution - GWX control panel which you can download from here -

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I used it on all four of the computers in my charge which were susceptible to the Win 10 update - which I didn't want on them - and it worked perfectly and unobtrusivley. give it a try.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Just to check, far back in your update history is there a kb3035583 of kb2976978 anywhere? Try removing them, be warned that there are probably multiple copies of each as they were re-released every month or so.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

Reinstall your OS.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

rp88 - It was the KB3035583 code that i deleted back when Win.10 was first released,but it still tried to download. The KB2976978 i'd not heard of. I do know that i only deleted one copy of the KB 3035583 code so I'll go back & have a good look.

It seems very odd that after so many months,Windows is sending me up-dates - OR,my PC is recognising the fact that they're there after this long period. It was also very odd,that after starting to shut down my PC yesterday,i was told not to shut down or power down as there was an important up-date installing. However,after 15 mins.,nothing seemed to be happening,so i switched off using the on/off switch on my PC = a boat load of problems this morning !!.  All my task bar icons had gone apart from a few, & i had to do a system restore - that was after having the black screen with all the 'stuff' on it.

Chris - Many thanks for that info. i'll also have a look at the GWX Control Panel.

medab1 - I wouldn't know how to - but i know somebody who does,the guy who built my PC for me.

I honestly can't understand why,after so many months of 'nothing',all of a sudden i'm getting the up-date notification again. I manually update Microsoft Security Essentials every day,the M/soft Office updates,i don't need. My use of those is very limited - spread sheets using Excel & very rarely,a Word Doc.

I've just checked for either of the 2 KB 'codes' - none found. I strongly suspect that MS have embedded a Win.10 download function in one or more of their updates. When i first removed the only  KB3035583 code from my PC,Win.10 still tried to download,which seems to point to more than one 'trigger'.

I know that currently in the US,a lot of folk are really PO'd with MS forcing Win.10 onto their PC's & i can understand why. Once it's on your PC,any updates etc. are compulsary - even if MS decided to download spyware onto your PC,which, considering the battles against terrorism & cybercrime going on,maybe not too far away !.

Edited by Saska01, 22 April 2017 - 02:52 AM.

#6 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:14 AM

I've just been having a trawl through several items re. Win.10 & it would seem that i'm not the only person to suspect 'hidden' download 'codes' ( is that what the KB thingies are ?).

I found an article on the ExtremeTech website where somebody posted a list of other suspect codes  :- KB2952664 / KB3035585 / KB3080079 / KB2999226 / KB3081444.

Codes KB3118401 / KB3121255 / KB2813347 / KB2919355 are listed as  'maybe's'  . If this is correct,then what M/Soft are doing is insideous to say the very least. :nono: 

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

The general Win 10 release date was 29 July 2015 and from then to about September 2016 MS were doing everything they could to get users off 7/8/8.1 and onto 10. As you have discovered there were a number of MS updates which triggered the auto Win 10 install. Probably the worst, and certainly the one with the worst PR effect (from MS's point of view) was the pop-up where clicking on the 'X' in the top right corner of the pop-up turned out to mean 'Install me tonight, just not right now!'.

I really would give GWX control panel a try, it is small, non-intrusive, simple and it works.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:20 AM

I received a personal e-mail from Bleeping Computer memebr ''castle robin'' regrarding Win.10 which arrived at a soon to be dead e-mail address. Orange UK are pulling the plug on their e-mail provision. I now have another e-mail address. When i tried to change my e-mail address on here, it wouldn't accept my 'current' password for some reason.  Since i logged in using my current password,how can that happen ?.

This from the 'edit profile section' :-  ''For example, you can change your email address without completing the 'Password' section at the bottom.''

It doesn't work. I typed in my new e-mail address as required, & the error mesage re.an incorrect password popped up ?. I didn't type a password in.

Help !

Returning to my original topic - MS's attempt to force it's way onto user's PC's - i honestly can't understand how they've got away with it for so long. I did a check on all the ipdates on my PC to see if i could find any of the above KB codes - i found KB2952664 which i deleted. I also checked the ''never check for downloads'' box on the Win.7 update page.

They pose as MS Office updates & i suspect that many of them are 'rogues'. Since it's been close to 18 months since any updates showed up,i can live without them. MS Office does exactly what i want it to do & i'll trust to my 3 anti-virus / spyware software installations to keep my PC safe.

I visited the friend who built my PC for me yesterday - he & his wife have just had their second child. While visiting him i mentioned this problem & we decided that when support for Win.7 goes belly up,i'll most likely go over to Linux.

To say that MS are involved in a total betrayal of trust in relation to their users is a vast understatement !. They seem to have little or no accountability for their actions & in my opinion, something needs doing about it at a very high level of government & i don't just mean the US government - although that could work for all of us. However,lack of action by the US government up to the current date,does make one wonder if they're not complicit in this.  As i mentioned in a previous post,with all the surveillance going on with regard to terrorism & cyber crime,any 'spyware' on our PC's might be just what the US government (& others) want.

All in all,it's a nasty situation & can anybody using Win.10 really believe that they're NOT being spied on, & that everything they do on the I/net isn't being monitored or that their e-mails etc. are still 'private' ??.  Having said that - just how 'private' were we before ?. Who really knows what MS have been drip feeding onto our  PC's for years - maybe Win.10 has only served to highlight the situation.

Edited by Saska01, 23 April 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:35 AM

We have 2 Win7s both have GWX control panel installed,as Chris Cosgrove said,unobtrusive,resource light and problem free.Give it a go.

All in all,it's a nasty situation & can anybody using Win.10 really believe that they're NOT being spied on, & that everything they do on the I/net isn't being monitored or that their e-mails etc. are still 'private' ??.  Having said that - just how 'private' were we before ?. Who really knows what MS have been drip feeding onto our  PC's for years - maybe Win.10 has only served to highlight the situation.

Totally agree...at least there's more awareness now,im looking at Linux again and Apple,MS are rediculous.

As far as privacy goes,govt control is becoming the issue of our times all over the planet..far as i can see,almost all governments have lied to the people all the time..probably the US govt is the last people to expect any concern about citizens privacy...

#10 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

I've downloaded the GWX app.,but i haven't installed it yet - i'm always overcautious about these things just in case they louse anything else up. 

I spoke (e-mail) with the friend of mine who built my PC & he swears by Linux. He's used it for years & offered to set up a Linux 'Try-out' on my PC for me. I passed on that for the time being. As long as i can keep Win.10 at bay,my PC functions as well as i need. I have however,blocked ALL MS updates. Most of them are ''supposedly'' security updates,but as i've found out,they're pretty dubious. I haven't had any for close to 18 months,so i can live without them. When support ceases for Win.7,i'll maybe migrate over to Linux - but i wonder how many folk are still using Win.XP ?. I still reckon that XP was the best operating system that MS ever devised - purely my opinion. I never had a single problem with XP or Outlook Express for my e-mails. Win.7 has been ok,but ''quirky'',but Win.Live Mail was a horror story !!. Google g-mail is far better.

I have read that MS have softened their attitude towards forced updates & that Win.10 users can select which to download - to a degree. But why,in the first instance,did MS seek to force an unwanted update (Win.10) onto people who obviously hadn't ever asked for it ??. There must have been some underlying reason,& i suspect that it wasn't for the benefit of the users - are they ever ?.

Many thanks to all you folks for the advice & comments - they're very much appreciated. :thumbup2:

Edited by Saska01, 24 April 2017 - 04:37 AM.

#11 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

I've downloaded the GWX app.,but i haven't installed it yet - i'm always overcautious about these things just in case they louse anything else up.

Honestly GWX Control is a little jem..we have it on two 7,s and it just does its thing,perfectly.(I tested it at first to see if it would change anything

but it never does,just non aggressively  sets its settings and that's it really.

Your right to be cautious about anything you install on your machine though,always a good idea to create a system restore point and back up

the registry beforehand,then you,ve always got something to go back to should there be any problems.

As far as Microsoft and 10 go i think even the most hardened fans can see user choice and concern are sadly lacking...

#12 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:27 AM

I'll second Wolverine's comment here. I've used the GWX app myself on many Windows 7 PC's and there's nothing to really install. It's a standalone program from memory. You can just run it, check the boxes you want and it modifies the necessary Windows registry entries so you don't need to do it manually.  Quite safe and totally reversible.

If you want it to change things back to the way they were before it made any modifications, then just run it again and tick (or un-tick) what you want undone.

Simple, easy and totally safe to use in my experience.

Cheers...

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:27 AM

Keep what you have before installing Windows 10.

You may not be happy with it.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#14 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

Keep what you have before installing Windows 10.

You may not be happy with it.

Damn good advice imo medab.. In my line of work, I've no choice but to stay up to date so I have a Windows 10 Pro box out of necessity. However my operating system of choice remains Windows 7 Pro..

Windows 10 is far too "cutesy" for my liking and nowhere near as suitable to a working environment as Win 7.  My main box is Windows 7 and it will stay that way for a while. When clients purchase machines pre-installed with Windows 10 and complain about how difficult they're finding the new user interface to use, I install either Start 10 or Classic Shell for them and they're happy as pig in mud again.

I always advise people to trial Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine before committing themselves to buying the upgrade.

#15 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:16 AM

I've no intention of having Win.10 ever on any pc that i own. 'Compulsary updates' i can live without. I prefer to know what i'm going to download before i accept one,with Win.10,you've no options.

I'm absolutely positive,that MS have been sending out updates purporting to be 'whatever',when in fact they've been seeding Win.7 & Win 8 user's pc's with Win.10 downloaders.  I did install GWX Control panel,ran it, & it found 9 KB codes associated with Win.10 download - i deleted them. If MS are so underhand with this,then how can anybody really have trust in them ?. In my opinion,it's an absolute breach of one of our fundamental democratic rights - ''the right to choose''. With Win.10 that's been done away with - you no longer have the right to choose !.  I'll opt out.

When MS No longer support Win.7,maybe i'll switch to Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users