Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommending a new computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hi everyone :)

Back after a while. So essentially my laptop's hard disk mysteriously failed where the computer would not even start up. (Also while I tried to get the built-in diagnostics running but it could not even find the HD. I can still boot from the live disk but the utility inside can not load the disk either.) Note that I still have access to a chromebook :) Now I am looking for a new computer and would like to know any recommendations. Again, I would like to get a new laptop since I might need to carry it with me, and I don't need it to be very powerful, but I occasionally use the laptop to edit videos. Any recommendations? I can wait if there is say a new model coming out since I have access to the chromebook.

Also, while I would prefer an SSD, I would also need a lot of space for the videos so I might have to opt for HD if the SSD's are still small (Not sure now).

Edited by Al1000, 30 April 2017 - 01:06 PM.
moved as requested

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

What is your current estimated budget?

Do you have any minimum required specifications besides a SSD drive? (RAM Processor etc.?)

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hi everyone :)

Back after a while. So essentially my laptop's hard disk mysteriously failed where the computer would not even start up. (Also while I tried to get the built-in diagnostics running but it could not even find the HD. I can still boot from the live disk but the utility inside can not load the disk either.) Note that I still have access to a chromebook :) Now I am looking for a new computer and would like to know any recommendations. Again, I would like to get a new laptop since I might need to carry it with me, and I don't need it to be very powerful, but I occasionally use the laptop to edit videos. Any recommendations? I can wait if there is say a new model coming out since I have access to the chromebook.

You might want to ask to have this moved to the "Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer" forum on the "open" forums or post your question there (if you have not already). You will likely get more help/suggestions.

For me personally, I don't tend to offer specific recommendations unless I have been able to lay hands on a device myself. And even then, I still hesitate to recommend specific products as what I like might not be ideal for others. After all, I have my own biases that tend to guide my decisions (for example, I won't touch a Dell ever again due to a bad experience with their customer service/support...of course, this is not much of an issue for me as I tend to build my own Windows desktops these days and I buy Apple laptops).

Also, while I would prefer an SSD, I would also need a lot of space for the videos so I might have to opt for HD if the SSD's are still small (Not sure now).

You can get large SSDs, but you will pay quite a bit for that larger SSD compared to a similar size (or larger) hard drive. You can still typically get larger hard drives than SSDs (especially when talking desktop/3.5 inch hard drives, but still even true of laptop/2.5" hard drives). For example, you can get a 4 TB Samsung SSD, but it will cost more than many laptops at $1380 just for the SSD alone. Even a 2 TB 2.5" SSD will cost more than some laptops alone at about $670. And even a 1 TB SSD is not that cheap at about $350 or so (depends on brand). Compare that to about $50 for a 1 TB 2.5" laptop hard drive and you likely will find that if you need lots of storage, you will definitely get WAY more GB per $ out of a hard drive.

#4 CKing123

CKing123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:48 PM

You might want to ask to have this moved to the "Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer" forum on the "open" forums or post your question there (if you have not already). You will likely get more help/suggestions.

Thanks! I reported this topic so it can be moved :)

What is your current estimated budget?

Do you have any minimum required specifications besides a SSD drive? (RAM Processor etc.?)

Around $700ish? I mean, it does not have to be a really powerful computer. Just enough to allow real-time editing. (The final export will be done on the project computer so I don't have to worry about it too much) Usually, the computer can do the preview during editing in real time and just the final export takes a long time, but that wouldn't be a problem.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Around $700ish? I mean, it does not have to be a really powerful computer. Just enough to allow real-time editing. (The final export will be done on the project computer so I don't have to worry about it too much) Usually, the computer can do the preview during editing in real time and just the final export takes a long time, but that wouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for the delay in reply.

By editing do you mean Audio/Video editing? I have some colleges that do this professionally and the minimum they spent for therr custom built desktops was around $1800.
I am not sure you will have the needed functionality for this in a laptop.

What applications will you be running? I could take a look and see what the minimum specs are and offer suggestions based on those.

Edited by King_Yoshi, 05 May 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

What is a lot of space, 512GB, 1TB, 2TB?  As others have pointed out, if you go with a SSD this will be a large part of your cost.

What is the make and model of the machine you will be replacing?  This gives us a baseline of what you were working with and a minimum of what you need.

#7 CKing123

CKing123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Well, I think around 512GB to 1TB is good enough :)

Also, I don't use complex Adobe Primiere. I mostly use GoPro Studio to combine the videos, and my old laptop had done a great job at this.

The old laptop's Specs (from what i can remember)

CPU: AMD A9 (can't remember the specific model)

RAM: 6GB (I can probably up this up to 8 for the new computer)

HD: 700GB

Also, should I wait for the new Ryzen Mobile that is coming?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users