Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittently disconnected from Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Twinbird

Twinbird

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

I'm at my parents house, and their internet intermittently disconnects. This happens with all devices, not just my laptop. I'm able to connect properly to the wi-fi elsewhere with my phone and laptop (i.e. at work or at a friend's place). I'll be browsing the internet, and then I suddenly get an error message:

error-internet.jpg

I've reset the router and it hasn't helped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm at my parents house, and their internet intermittently disconnects. This happens with all devices, not just my laptop. I'm able to connect properly to the wi-fi elsewhere with my phone and laptop (i.e. at work or at a friend's place). I'll be browsing the internet, and then I suddenly get an error message:
error-internet.jpg
I've reset the router and it hasn't helped.

Is the WiFi that is disconnecting? Or is it an problem with the Internet even though you are still connected to the WiFi network?

If it is the latter, have you tried connecting a computer by ethernet (i.e. wired connection)? Does the same thing happen with a wired connection?

#3 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the reply! The same thing happens even with an Ethernet cable :(

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reply! The same thing happens even with an Ethernet cable :(

Then that suggests it is an issue with either the router and/or modem or with the service from the ISP.

Do they have a router/modem combo (commonly referred to as a "residential gateway")? If so, is it supplied by the ISP? Or did they buy it themselves? If it is supplied by the ISP, then you likely will want to call the ISP and have them come check it out.

Or is a modem (presumably supplied by the ISP, but could be self bought) with a separate router? If so, have you tried connecting a computer with an ethernet cable directly to the modem? If so, does the same thing happen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users