Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown devices showing up in network discovery

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bignurse

bignurse

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

I have noticed on my Windows Network Discovery unknown devices showing up for about 1 to 2 minutes when I boot my computer or restart Network Discovery. It shows a mac address but no IP address or identifier.  It only happens on the Windows 10 computers regardless to how it is connected to the internet. No other computer or device shows it and the name changes very frequently. Microsoft Tech Net suggests that it an unidentified device attempting to connect to my WiFi network but when I take my desktop with no WiFi or Bluetooth adapters directly to the cable modem and still get it it make me wonder if it is not a windows 10 issue.  It only happens for 1 to 2 minutes when I boot (or re-boot) the computer or restart network discovery and only on Windows 10 but have not seen it on Windows 7 or Linux yet and my router and network monitoring software do not see it.

I have scanned with Malware bytes, my anti-virus and other malware scanners and all show nothing. Do I have to worry about malware on my computers or could it be a glitch in Windows 10 or one of the Windows apps?

Edited by bignurse, 20 April 2017 - 08:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users