Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious avi video, plays on windows but not linux, depsite VLC and same codec

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

I have some old videos in some sort of avi format, with some kind of codec. These videos date from before I'd ever considered using linux, before I knew that such an OS existed. Back on windows these avi video files would play fine in VLC but windows 8.1's built in media player could not play them, it only played the sound and didn't show the pictures. Now I find that these same videos, when I try to play them through VLC in linux* don't show the video, and only play the audio. But they do show the video when played through VLC on windows. VLC on linux is older than the one I have on windows now (2.1.6 Rincewind is on linux mint, windows has newer) but newer than the VLC version I had on windows years ago when I first played the files (some were downloaded, some were made with a camera I no longer have). So with the same VLC program, why should being under a different OS make any difference to the ability of the files to play? I know that the version of linux I have contains the main codecs that VLC uses, I have tested and found it to be able to play movie DVDs just fine so it isn't the latest version where you have to add the codecs after installing the OS.

Any thoughts on why things should differ between windows and linux, and what to do to enable linux to play these files?

Thanks

*Linux mint, mate version, 64 bit, the final version to have built-in out-of-the-box support for codecs such as DVD codecs, version 17.3

Edited by rp88, 20 April 2017 - 02:56 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

My suggestion try MediaInfo https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo to find the codecs used to generate the file then you can search the codecs for Windows and Linux.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users